Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relatively new knitter here. I just finished a 3 hr 101 class at JoAnn Fabrics. It was great - I came home thinking I knew everything I needed to know. Started my shawl on circs. Went great guns for a couple of rows then........I set my work down on the couch. I did not know whether I laid the needles upside down or in the exAct position they were in my hands

So
When I picked them up I could not even figure out which one to put in which hand. I will just start over but what is the secret to knowing how to pick up where you left off. To confuse myself a little more I was doing a shawl pattern of 3 k, 3 p ...so when the right side is up I can read the knits from the purls but then the back looks just the opposite.

I think I will really enjoy this once I am able to read my own work.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
You're fine. A rib will ook the same on both sides. If you want to know for sure... put a safety pin or a bow of different colored yarn on the right side....

Now to laying down your knitting... Your working yarn will be on the right-hand side of the knitting.. so that is what goes in your right hand and the other needle tip in your left hand.... If you are really in doubt, gently pull out the last stitch by putting left hand tip in the leg of the stitch below the working yarn and pulling out the yarn.... That is the direction you were coming from...

I know it isn't always pissible, but my mom taught me to never stop knitting till I reached the end of the row... so as not to create a little hole....... I have said "Wait till I finish this row" to my kids and DH so many times in my life,,,, I'm pretty sure that is what they will engrave on my tombstone!!!!!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Peg Crafter said:
Relatively new knitter here. I just finished a 3 hr 101 class at JoAnn Fabrics. It was great - I came home thinking I knew everything I needed to know. Started my shawl on circs. Went great guns for a couple of rows then........I set my work down on the couch. I did not know whether I laid the needles upside down or in the exAct position they were in my hands

So
When I picked them up I could not even figure out which one to put in which hand. I will just start over but what is the secret to knowing how to pick up where you left off. To confuse myself a little more I was doing a shawl pattern of 3 k, 3 p ...so when the right side is up I can read the knits from the purls but then the back looks just the opposite.

Just remember next time, the needle with the yarn attached should be in your right hand, as long as you are knitting right handed.
Also, if you are working in the round, you should be working on the side of the needles closest to you, like the rim of the cup where you drink.
Have fun.
Colleen.
PS, If you go the wrong way, you will create a hole.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Peg Crafter, I learned at JoAnn's and got just as confused when I got home and paused. I started using YouTube.com for knitting lessons after that. Also, the instructor from JoAnn's had classes at a restaurant and through the Parks Department, so I took a couple of specialty courses from her. I'm still learning from the people here and have gotten some wonderful tips from everyone, especially Jessica-Jean, Dreamweaver and Amyknits, to name a few. There are knit-Alongs and many free patterns shared on this site. I hope you enjoy knitting/crocheting for years to come.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I am doing the endless circle vest and its just as confusing I had to mark the 'front' of it and hope I am right.. its hard when the pattern is reversable its much easier to read when there is a definate right and wrong side..
Some good information and videos are at this site. http://www.knittinghelp.com I just about wore this site out and I still reffer back to it often..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Peg Crafter said:

So

You mentioned you are knitting on circular needles. Are you knitting flat or in the round? When you knit in the round the right side is always out and you just knit. You do not need to worry about the wrong side, just look at your stitch design on the right side. Yes, your working needle is the one with the yarn on the right side whether you knit flat or in the round.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Peg Crafter said:
I think I am going to need to do some more research on identifying the right side. I don't know why I get o confused
Peg Crafter said:
I think I am going to need to do some more research on identifying the right side. I don't know why I get o confused
Because you are a novice. Believe me, it took me a while to get it right. (I've only been at it for 2 years now.) Usually, the knit side, with the V's, is the right side, and the bumpy (purl) side is the wrong side, depending on your pattern. Mark the right side as soon as you are done knitting that first row, unless the pattern said this will be the wrong side, then you would mark the second row as the right side. Just use a piece of yarn, a marker, safety pin or whatever will make you know the right from the left.

As you become more experienced--and it will not take that long--you will be able to tell. Check your parks department in your area and see if they have a class. They are usually inexpensive and run for several weeks. You get to meet other knitters with whom you can establish a relationship and help each other. You will be able to ask questions of the instructor and get information faster than you will learn eventually on your own. In the meantime, check out those YouTube.com videos--Cyberseams, Bethintx, Knitpicks, to name a few. Try different ones until you find one you like. Google what it is you are trying to find out and you will get lots of videos that show you step by step. Good luck and remember, you are not alone in how you feel. Lots of people go through this in the beginning. Just don't get discouraged. You will have so much fun and pleasure in your finished project. Although, when you get to frogging ("rip it" hence the name frogging) your project you may want to scream sometimes. However, plow through and you will be so happy you did. Enjoy!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you so much - I am determined to put all the missing pieces together. I will mark that first row immediately. I also realize that I MUST get a row counter. That was half of my problem. If you do just one row on the wrong side - the picture changes.

I also have to laugh at myself - I was trying to create a simple 3 inch by 5 inch pocket swatch with a motif of a cross in the center. After hours of "practice" and abstract variations of a cross - I finally googled Prayer Shawl pocket shawls and, what do you think - there is a written pattern out there. It was a little premature for me to think I could make a pattern when I can hardly tell a v from a bump ( especially since I still don't have a consistent tension.

Thank you

Onward..........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom