Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am knitting a lot at the moment for my daughter's baby which is due in December. At the moment I am working on first size garments that will suit boy or girl. I find I am mainly using my old patterns from when my own children were born as today's patterns are geared more specifically to a boy or girl. I suppose more mothers find out the sex of their baby beforehand these days. What I want to ask is where do KPers put the buttons when they do not know the sex. A lot of you perhaps put buttonholes on both sides of the band and sew the buttons on after the baby is born. I would, however, prefer to finish them now. I feel we could be too busy to be sewing on buttons as the baby is due around Christmas - a busy time any year but could be a lot busier this year!

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
The buttons ended up on different sides for the different genders because of Victorian convention which decreed that well-heeled women didn't generally dress themselves so the buttons were put where it was easier for right-handed servants could deal with them easily.
So if the mum is right-handed, put them on the left-hand side for ease of her doing them up.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hilary4 said:
The buttons ended up on different sides for the different genders because of Victorian convention which decreed that well-heeled women didn't generally dress themselves so the buttons were put where it was easier for right-handed servants could deal with them easily.
So if the mum is right-handed, put them on the left-hand side for ease of her doing them up.
Thanks that makes sense.

·
Registered
27,128 Posts
I put the buttonholes on the left side like a mans shirt. Just like a boy cannot wear pink, but a girl can wear blue. A girl can wear a boy's sweater, but a boy many cannot wear a girls sweater.
p.s. I know they can wear them, but most often they do not wear them.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
All my life (almost 80) I've wondered WHY boys and girls buttoned on opposite sides and WHY I ALWAYS had to have my hair parted on the right even though it refused to stay there and my brother got his parted on the left.

The Victorian statement answers my questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I'm almost 70 and I have knitted tons of baby sweaters and I just decided when I first started knitting them that the button holes were going on the left side for both boy and girl. Easier to remember when I go to put them in. :thumbup:

·
Registered
33,683 Posts
Does it really matter what side the button holes and buttons are? the baby won't be doing them up - and when the child is old enough to do them up themselves, then the buttons go on the left for a girl and the right for a boy

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Rosette said:
I sometimes put button holes on both sides. When you know if baby is a boy or girl, sew the buttons on the 'wrong' side, closing the hole.
I used to do that with colours that could be used by either sex when mine were young. When my daughter outgrew a cardigan I swapped the buttons over and used it for my son. Now most moms find out what they are having before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom