Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm considering investing in 16" circulars. I cannot buy ALL the sizes, and as I'm just beginning to use patterns that require them, which ones are the most commonly used?

Thanks, LdyM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,120 Posts
LdyM said:
Hi all, I'm considering investing in 16" circulars. I cannot buy ALL the sizes, and as I'm just beginning to use patterns that require them, which ones are the most commonly used?

Thanks, LdyM
I knit a lot of hats for both adults and kids so I commonly use 3.75mm,4mm,4.5mm and 5mm. I use these when using dk or worsted. For chunky (which I am not crazy about) used only occasionally it is 6-6.5mm. Remember though that if knitting hats on circulars you will also nee corresponding double- pointed needles for your decreases. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,232 Posts
So, you are asking about how long to get them, not what brands (there have been several threads particularly on the last)
And are you looking for particular needle sizes? that would depend on the weight of the yarns you plan to use.

It depends on what you think you will be knitting.... and how comfortable you are with having stitches pushed together on the cable. Hats, socks, scarfs will all work on 16"
However, the longer ones can be used for Magic Loop on more things ... but you do have to figure out Magic Loop (not hard) ... I'm currently working on an adult afghan with a 36"
After awhile, many people get interchangeable ones.... and have different lengths of cables to adapt to what they are making.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,232 Posts
LdyM said:
Oh thank you, but I want a 16" length. I'm asking which sizes I'm more likely to use?
Great... then you know what length... the needle sizes will depend on what yarns you are planning to use.
For example, if you usually get gauge using a US 7 with worsted yarn and that's the yarn weight you use the most... then go for 7's

Good tools are wonderful....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nanny's Knits said:
I knit a lot of hats for both adults and kids so I commonly use 3.75mm,4mm,4.5mm and 5mm. I use these when using dk or worsted. For chunky (which I am not crazy about) used only occasionally it is 6-6.5mm. Remember though that if knitting hats on circulars you will also nee corresponding double- pointed needles for your decreases. Hope this helps.
Yes, the correlation of yarn weights helps greatly too Nancy. I will be using these also for sweater necks. And thanks for the double-point reminder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
knit4ES said:
Great... then you know what length... the needle sizes will depend on what yarns you are planning to use.
For example, if you usually get gauge using a US 7 with worsted yarn and that's the yarn weight you use the most... then go for 7's

Good tools are wonderful....
Yes, I see. And don't good tools make the experience even more delightful?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
A set of interchangeable circular 16" might be a good investment for you. If you are going to knit a lot of baby items, then you will probably need smaller needles that you would use with lighter weight yarns. Size 3 or 4 is very handy when using a heavier fingering weight for baby garments. Size 5-6 for Sport weight. Needles from www.knitpicks.com are very affordable. They have great needle tips. You may find that for some projects a wooden needle will work better than metal. Knit Picks stands behind their products without question and has awesome customer service too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KnittersSerendipity said:
A set of interchangeable circular 16" might be a good investment for you. If you are going to knit a lot of baby items, then you will probably need smaller needles that you would use with lighter weight yarns. Size 3 or 4 is very handy when using a heavier fingering weight for baby garments. Size 5-6 for Sport weight. Needles from www.knitpicks.com are very affordable. They have great needle tips. You may find that for some projects a wooden needle will work better than metal. Knit Picks stands behind their products without question and has awesome customer service too!
This is really helpful! Excellent information and sounds like what I need. I'm going to check it out! (I imagine the wooden has a bit of give..) Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,148 Posts
I usually use a 7 or 8 16" for hats made with worsted weight yarn. I invested in Knitter's Pride interchangeable circulars and have all the sizes I will ever need. The needles are about 3 1/2" long so they can work as interchangeables. If you're planning on using circulars regularly it would be a good investment to just buy the whole set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48,300 Posts
Buy when project demands it. I like Chiagoo red lace best. Metal points, flexible cords, sharp points. Handsome Fibers is the online place to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
I have also used Kollage Square needles with the firm cable. If you have any problems with your hands, square needles may make knitting much more comfortable. Knitter's Pride also makes them in wood interchangeables and I think metal as well, but their points are not as fine as Kollage.

LOL, some of us are needle stashers too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,194 Posts
LdyM said:
Oh thank you, but I want a 16" length. I'm asking which sizes I'm more likely to use?
It depends on what you'll be knitting and also your personal stitch. I, for instance, am what is known as a 'tight' knitter. I wanted size 2 because I like small things (anything) but my sock teacher corrected me to 2.75, two of which is okay, but someone here (on KP) said a tight knitter would create looser stitches by using one needle a size larger, which is absolutely correct in my case. I got myself a 3 to use with my 2.75 and I like the 'look' of my stitches more than before. Plus there's more 'give' to the fabric, which is important to socks.

Good luck, choosing!
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom