Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Johnson’s Baby Powder:

This product always conjures up memories for me. I can remember very clearly the first time I smelt it. I was four years old and my mum had just given birth (at home) to my baby sister. My brother (two years old) and I, had not been allowed into the bedroom while my mum was giving birth, but once my sister was born, the midwife invited us in to ‘see our baby sister’. However, I wasn’t the slightest bit interested in the new baby. I immediately went over to a bowl of water and started floating little blobs of cotton wool on the surface. The cotton wool used to be in a roll and you would pull off pieces, so they were like white streaks on the water. I was swishing my finger through them, pretending they were fish. My mum had to call me over to see the baby. And even to this day, I still remember the smell of Baby Johnson’s powder and lotion.

My second memory is of the Flowering Currant Bush. It smells divine and it takes me right back to being seven years old and walking past our garden wall. The plant must have been growing there and I've remembered its scent ever since.

Which aroma takes you back to the past - and why?

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Honeysuckle and the cooking of strawberry preserves . Because we had a honeysuckle bush right outside our door when I was a little girl and my grandmother used to pick Strawberries from her patch in her other property and bring them home and make preserves . It was always a great time of year. As I got older and we moved away from Grandma's home town, my mom used to buy me a honeysuckle satchet from Avon . And of course we ended up buying Smuckers strawberry preserves . You never forget the good old days !

·
Registered
468 Posts
[Hi Kerry Anne,

If you like the powdery smell, did you know that Yankee candles do a candle called Baby Powder? They do it in all sizes even tealights.

I buy them to take to Spain for a neighbour, in her late sixties, who also just loves that smell.

Cheers,
Annagemma

This product always conjures up memories for me. I can remember very clearly the first time I smelt it. I was four years old and my mum had just given birth (at home) to my baby sister. My brother (two years old) and I, had not been allowed into the bedroom while my mum was giving birth, but once my sister was born, the midwife invited us in to 'see our baby sister'. However, I wasn't the slightest bit interested in the new baby. I immediately went over to a bowl of water and started floating little blobs of cotton wool on the surface. The cotton wool used to be in a roll and you would pull off pieces, so they were like white streaks on the water. I was swishing my finger through them, pretending they were fish. My mum had to call me over to see the baby. And even to this day, I still remember the smell of Baby Johnson's powder and lotion.

My second memory is of the Flowering Currant Bush. It smells divine and it takes me right back to being seven years old and walking past our garden wall. The plant must have been growing there and I've remembered its scent ever since.

Which aroma takes you back to the past - and why?[/quote]

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Hyathinths (spelling?). My mother would buy a pot and place them by my bed when I was little. Probably why I love lavender. Tame creme rinse, at least it didn't hurt when my hair was washed and combed, lol. Lilacs, they smell divine, remberance from childhood, sunshine and lilacs.

·
Registered
18,194 Posts
Gardenias..my dad would take each of us separately,on,"dates" to New York City..(we lived in Brooklyn at the time)I remember it fondly,getting a gardenia corsage,and attending Radio City music Hall,when they even had a movie!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Lilacs and lily of the valley. We had a lot at the house where I grew up. Also, and this will sound weird, the old oily wood smell from the shop on the farm. brings back memories of my dad letting me mess with tools and wood.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Oh, SO many. Bread baking, pot roast in the oven, homemade soups. Outside: lilacs, roses, sweet peas, peonies, daffodils, hyacinths, fresh cut hay, just mown lawn and (strangely) the smell of freshly manured fields on first warm spring days.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Sealed in a plastic bag are the last clothes my father had on when he died. They smell like the laundry room at my family home- they smell so good that I just want to bury my face in them and inhale! But, the last time Idid , I found a small hole in the bag. The smell was gone! I was crushed. I think it was my father's way of telling me to throw out the darn cloths and move on!!!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
There was Honeysuckle under my bedroom window. When I smell it it reminds me of the home where I spent my childhood. There is a lotion that I think is called Utter Balm. It reminds me of a product of that same name that reminds me of the days I spent on my Grandparents farm. It was used on the cows and our own chapped hands. Lilac reminds me of my Grandmother.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
vikicooks said:
Sealed in a plastic bag are the last clothes my father had on when he died. They smell like the laundry room at my family home- they smell so good that I just want to bury my face in them and inhale! But, the last time Idid , I found a small hole in the bag. The smell was gone! I was crushed. I think it was my father's way of telling me to throw out the darn cloths and move on!!!
When my husband passed I put his pillow case in a plastic bag. I would open it put it against my face and inhale. Over time the scent was gone. I agree with you -- it is time to move on.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My mother cooking chicken soup. I watched her cooking it. She would also make homemade noodles for it. That smell was the best and the taste was incredible. I could never quite duplicate the taste. It's close but not quite the same. It is my go-to soup for a cold rainy day and when I feel a cold coming on.

My second favorite smell is bathing a baby with Baby's Own Soap. Every evening I would give my babies a bath using that soap, dry them and put clean pj's and nuzzling and cuddling my sweet babies. This soap is far better than Johnson's baby soap. Baby's Own Soap is available in Canada. I've never seen it in the US.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
momcat531 said:
When my husband passed I put his pillow case in a plastic bag. I would open it put it against my face and inhale. Over time the scent was gone. I agree with you -- it is time to move on.
My mother just died 3 weeks ago- the only thing I kept was her Jean Nate powder! I am handling this time much better! Sorry about your husband- maybe the scent stays until we no longer need it.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
The smell of play dough takes me back to my early childhood , many years ago. We keep some here for our friends little boy to play with when he visits us and I sneak a sniff now and then. That smell is very evocative of rainy days, sitting at the kitchen table ' creating. ' with this lovely stuff. ????

·
Registered
277 Posts
The smells of motor oil, sawdust and pumpkin pie. My father was a mechanic and he was always building something in his workshop in the basement as well. My moms pumpkin pie is one of my favorite things she bakes. I would have said spaghetti sauce cooking, but no one makes sauce that smells as good as my mom's. Mom used to always make spaghetti for my birthday and the sauce would simmer all day.....yum!

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Tide powder laundry detergent!! Takes me right back to doing my laundry on Saturdays, in the U.S. Navy barracks' laundry room during basic training, in Bainbridge, MD!!! That was waaaaay back in '62, but one whiff of Tide, and I'm teleported right back there! Looking back over the years it really was a great time in my life!!!

...gloria

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
Cedar! 90 years ago my family came to Canada. I was only 6. Our first home was an unfinished one. Just a shell, really. But it was built of cedar. As soon as we walked in the aroma of cedar was very strong.
Every time since when I have caught the smell of cedar, I am back in that house.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Tangerines remind me of Christmas. It was the only time of the year you could find them when I was young. The varieties in stores today are good & readily available. Not the same type in loved in the '50's & '60's. Ponds cold cream was what my Grandfather would slather on his face & bald head after he showered. He would wipe off the excess. Kept his skin from dryness I guess. It smells softly of roses. And Hoppe's cleaning fluid. We used it after shooting trap, or when Dad came home from hunting. All of us together after an enjoyable time. And grease, like in a garage. Dad smelled of that when he came home from work. Not very romantic fragrances & interesting that they involve the 2 most important men of my childhood. Hmmmm. Wonder what old Sigmund would say?

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom