Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get an adjustable head craft lamp to use at my knitting machines and I was wondering what you all use...a natural sunlight lamp or one with LED bulb? I'm thinking of a floor type that is adjustable. Thank you. Sherry

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I really like the ott lights. You can get just the bulbs now as well. Joann's Fabrics sells them. If you register you get
coupons in the mail as well as on line. They come in floor, table, desk and little reading lamps. I have tried the led bulbs in lamps and just don't get the same light. Lot more
expensive also. Joann's often has the ott light bulbs on sale 50% off as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have both an Ott lamp (floor lamp)by my chair (where I knit and crochet by hand) as well as two Daylight
table-top lamps, of which one is on a craft table in my studio while the other is on one of my knitting machine tables. They all give a nice light suitable for working with fiber.

Sometimes it's hard to find replacement bulbs (they are very expensive at the JoAnn Fabrics I shop at) - I used to find them inexpensively at Home Depot but that has changed - now I find I can buy them on Overstock.com in their craft department.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Debiknit said:
I really like the ott lights. You can get just the bulbs now as well. Joann's Fabrics sells them. If you register you get
coupons in the mail as well as on line. They come in floor, table, desk and little reading lamps. I have tried the led bulbs in lamps and just don't get the same light. Lot more
expensive also. Joann's often has the ott light bulbs on sale 50% off as well.
Do you use the 18watt or the 24? It looks to be a good light. Than you.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
The floor lamp by my knitting chair is an 18watt. The one with the clip and the magnifying glass( both of which I never use). I think the other floor lamp is the same. The longer plug in bulb. I haven't moved into the front of the house yet. (Mostly stay in the back on the porch in the summer, living room in the winter). So the new set of 3 ott lights I
just got I haven't used yet. They have the squirrely (twisty looking)bulbs, but they are the ott light bulbs.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hi Sherry, how do you have your knitting machine set up?

Mine are on tables. I use lightings that are clamped onto the table and provide light across the machine beds. Here's the first setting. This overhead long lighting was actually made for machine knitting. As most knitting machines themselves, this lighting is no longer being manufactured but still able to find them used. I think they were mainly sold in Europe.

I also mounted a cabinet kitchen lighting underneath the table which also helped to see what's going on below the pegs.

One other table, I have engineering floating lamps clamped at the back. The Dazor lightings are great floating lamps. They're durable and will stay wherever you move them. The new ones are pricey but you can find them used often on eBay.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Definitely the Ott light,,,available in many types. Started out looking for a light to help my mother who has macular degeneration. I purchased the floor lamp with goose neck (you can purchase a magnifier also). Sold at Michaels , sometimes sales or coupons(wait for the 50%). Best light,,my husband is an electrician and he was impressed. You can also get it table models. I do a lot of crafts and own three,,,floor, desk, and a foldable portable one, that I take with me for scrapping, and travel.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have an Ott light, an LED light, and a cheap goose neck floor light. The Ott light has the best light and is not as hot as the others. The goose neck light makes me so hot, I have to have a fan on me. Great quality once it gets cold, though.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
I read some reviews of the Ott lamps recently where people reported problems with the clip on and flex neck causing the lamp to become to heavy and fall over. Others also reported that the magnifier is plastic and gets scratched/foggy easily.

What do others here on KP feel about these criticisms?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Ah, just cottoned on OTT...over the top lights.Of course.

I use Eco bulbs all over my house, ( except in the lounge for soft lighting), but I hate the soft colour daylight kind.

Mine are all bright, ranging from 18 Watt to 24 Watt. So, they are very white.

I just use a double adjustable Pole stand next to my knitting machines. Perfect for my needs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Piper Too said:
Ah, just cottoned on OTT...over the top lights.Of course.

I use Eco bulbs all over my house, ( except in the lounge for soft lighting), but I hate the soft colour daylight kind.

Mine are all bright, ranging from 18 Watt to 24 Watt. So, they are very white.

I just use a double adjustable Pole stand next to my knitting machines. Perfect for my needs.
Thanks so much for the TIP, Piper Too!! Great idea. I already have the pole lamp, will get some Ott bulbs. Sherry

:D

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
There is also the Verilux brand, BlueMax brand and I'm sure others. See which one you can turn on without any difficulty. I have the Verilux (lighting stores and Bed, Bath and Beyond) because the switch rocks on and off vs a twist and turn.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
We have three of the floor-stand 'warp nacelle' style Ottlites (the plain pale grey ones), plus a discontinued cantilevered bronze-colored bell-shade Ott floor light, plus two Daylight floor lamps with the wide conical shade (that also came with a gooseneck with a clamp for a pattern and a second gooseneck with a magnifier on it). One thing that we discovered is that the Daylight ones cannot be used in a room where other people will be looking toward you--unless the shade is turned absolutely down toward the floor, the light is blinding to anyone else! So our son uses them to work on models and play chess on the floor, because then they are beaming directly down.

The bronze one gets a bit warm, and it can be hard to find the foot-pedal on it, but I solved that by winding the cord around the sofa leg so that the foot-switch is under the sofa right by the leg so I can always find it! The warp nacelles stay coolest longest, and they have a rocker switch that is easy to use.

I even have daylight bulbs in all my household lights :) and a Dazor wide desk lamp as my piano lamp.

Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom