Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing wonderful projects displayed on KP, I have been inspired to purchase a loom, but haven't a clue which one. Because my work rooms are already filled with knitting, sewing machines etc, it will probably have to perch on the end of my dining table.
I live in the UK and would be quite happy to purchase a previously used one.
Any ideas or offers?

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
You will undoubtedly find just the right one to perch on the end of your dining table! I got mine in the spring of this year, something I have wanted for a long, long time, and finally realized it would be a good way to help me get through a lot of time at home alone. What I wish I could have done was tried several looms-- retailers will often let you do that, or maybe you can find a local weaving guild or group you can ask individuals if you can try their looms or at least ask specific questions. I watched a bunch of videos online, which was helpful but not the the same as hands-on experience.

I bought a Kromski rigid heddle 24". I think that size works pretty well for me as I can weave a variety of items and if I wanted bigger material or something, I can weave two panels and seam it. I think I would be frustrated with a smaller size. The Kromski is nice made and finished, but there are a few things I would have engineered differently. (Example: the handles on the roller bars at front and back stick out too much and my weft yarn sometimes catches on them; the Ashford has lower-profile handles.) On the other hand, the Kromski is pretty to look at, and visual beauty of my tools is important to me. (I'm a visual artist, painter, photographer, etc.) Just feeling the different shuttles I have purchased, I would also guess that a LeClerq would be well made-- they are so much better finished than the Ashford shuttles. (Who would have thought one would judge a loom by the maker's shuttle? But it could be an indicator of attention to detail.) My guess is that, no matter, which one you choose, you will love it and become close friends. Happy times ahead!

·
Registered
246 Posts
The other nice thing about Kromski RHL is that they do fold in half and you can buy a tidy carrying case to make a nice storage package. They can be folded with a project on for traveling. The storage case is plenty large to accommodate extras.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
gardenpoet said:
You will undoubtedly find just the right one to perch on the end of your dining table! I got mine in the spring of this year, something I have wanted for a long, long time, and finally realized it would be a good way to help me get through a lot of time at home alone. What I wish I could have done was tried several looms-- retailers will often let you do that, or maybe you can find a local weaving guild or group you can ask individuals if you can try their looms or at least ask specific questions. I watched a bunch of videos online, which was helpful but not the the same as hands-on experience.

I bought a Kromski rigid heddle 24". I think that size works pretty well for me as I can weave a variety of items and if I wanted bigger material or something, I can weave two panels and seam it. I think I would be frustrated with a smaller size. The Kromski is nice made and finished, but there are a few things I would have engineered differently. (Example: the handles on the roller bars at front and back stick out too much and my weft yarn sometimes catches on them; the Ashford has lower-profile handles.) On the other hand, the Kromski is pretty to look at, and visual beauty of my tools is important to me. (I'm a visual artist, painter, photographer, etc.) Just feeling the different shuttles I have purchased, I would also guess that a LeClerq would be well made-- they are so much better finished than the Ashford shuttles. (Who would have thought one would judge a loom by the maker's shuttle? But it could be an indicator of attention to detail.) My guess is that, no matter, which one you choose, you will love it and become close friends. Happy times ahead!
Hi, is this the one you are talking about?

http://kromskina.com/weaving/the-harp-forte-rigid-heddle-loom/

I've been thinking weaving for a long time also.

Thanks

Carol

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
44gram said:
Hi, is this the one you are talking about?

http://kromskina.com/weaving/the-harp-forte-rigid-heddle-loom/

I’ve been thinking weaving for a long time also.

Thanks

Carol
Yes, the Harp Forte. One reason I did choose it is because, as noted by the above poster, it folds even with a project in it. Also, it has a built in warping board on the back, which is an excellent feature. (though I have been direct warping which I find much faster, but not using the silly peg tool that comes with the loom since it becomes detached too easily and has dumped my warp in progress to the floor. Now I use the very stationary upraised hand on our large Buddha statue!) I do love my loom and have learned a number of tricks to making it easier to use. And it is well made though could use some design improvements. Maybe they all could. Or maybe it's me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
You should also consider if you want a rigid hedge or a table loom. Table looms come in different weaving widths and different number of shafts available. More shafts give you the opportunity to do more patterns.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
You should also consider if you want a rigid hedge or a table loom. Table looms come in different weaving widths and different number of shafts available. More shafts give you the opportunity to do more patterns.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Hilary Mercer said:
Thanks everyone for the responses. GrannyMo in Scotland has been in contact with an offer and I am presently awaiting a reply.
Isn't KP wonderful!
How cool is that! Do let us know how your adoption goes!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Within 24 hours of posting the request, I have agreed a deal with a KP member in Scotland and the loom should be winging its way to me shortly. I haven't a clue how to use it. Could you please give me some ideas of what I should be watching or reading.
Thank you all for the responses and ideas. KP really is amazing!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Within 24 hours of posting the request, I have agreed a deal with a KP member in Scotland and the Kromski loom should be winging its way to me shortly. I haven't a clue how to use it. Could you please give me some ideas of what I should be watching or reading.
Thank you all for the responses and ideas. KP really is amazing!

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I also have a 24" Kromski rigid heddle. I love it. I've made quite a few scarves, and a few place settings so far.

After Christmas it will get more use.

The fact it can fold with my work in place is great.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I would recommend an Ashford, either the regular rigid heddle loom or the more pricy but portable Ashford Knitters loom.
They are the easiest to warp and use.
https://www.paradisefibers.com/collections/weaving-looms/products/ashford-rigid-heddle-weaving-looms
or
https://www.paradisefibers.com/collections/weaving-looms/products/ashford-knitters-looms?variant=19306549638

I started with the rhl and loved it, but when it came to portability, it was doable, but cumbersome.
Nothing beats the Knitters loom for ease in setting up, warping, weaving, and traveling.

(No, I do not work for the company.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom