Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you ever so much!
I hate to admit how worked up about this I got myself because I couldn't picture it in my head right to figure it out.

I am glad I laid it down until you came along!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I am feeling very obtuse. Do you mean that I should start with row 1 when I begin a row and I am on the wrong side facing me or do you mean row 1 shows up on the wrong side?

Your language is clear, my head isn't. I am sorry to ask again.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Now you have me laughing! It's easy to get "disoriented" sometimes.

Row 1 is a wrong side row, Row 2 is a right side row. When working with cables, the rows where you use the cable stitch holder is ALWAYS on the right side. This is so that the cables appear "raised".

Think of it this way. Did you ever eat a hostess cupcake? The ones with Chocolate icing and a white "squiggle" on top? That "squiggle" is a little raised...like a cable and it's always on the TOP side of the cupcake :eek:)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Hi!! Don't think so hard!! Voice of experience here. Notice how the pattern reads for the cables, i.e, you are forming the twist when holding stiches to the back on the even rows. You will definitely notice the right or "public" side as you knit them. It's very pretty, I am sure you will do well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you ladies! Now I can laugh too.

and I have a feeling I will always think of cupcakes when I do cables!

My HP (higher power) knew I was stressing myself..so that when I took out the row I had done, I got up to do something else and LOST the other needle! LOL

I have found it now and will be on hugs and kisses!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
That is right, it is stunning! I am looking for some challenging work. It does not look like a free pattern; however, that is OK. Would you mind sharing where you have found it? I'd also like to try a top down sweater. But mainly would like a sweater, perferrably cardigan, with cable or lace work. I'm planning on going to a nearby yarn shop this week. From the looks of picture I think you may have some good suggestions for me. Thanks, Carlene

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I just mainly do scarves but I usually find that my first row (not counting the cast on row) is the "right" side. So the odd rows are the "right" side. Sometimes patterns will tell you which is the right or wrong side. The side you do the cable one will be the right side.

Sometimes knitting language can be as confusing as computer language!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bonster...exactly! That is where I got so befuddled! Usually the side you start on (in my very limited experience) is the right side (the odd rows). When I perused the pattern that didn't sound true.

Thanks to the GREAT help I got here...I shall always think of cables in terms of icing cupcakes and braiding...helps me to understand it.

I think I have this pattern down now so that I can do the repeats without consulting the pattern. That is important to me so that I learn cables rather than how to just read words in a row and count. LOL

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
If you are a right handed knitter (left handers reverse directions) cast on. You should have a tiny piece of yarn left dangling from your cast on row at the bottom of your knitting. Where ever you are, you will know that the dangling piece of yarn the start of your cast on row. The next row is considered Row 1. As to the "right side" of your knitting, check where your dangly yarn is. This should show you that the opposite end starts your first "row" and by putting the cast on yarn string at the bottom of your knitting, you should be facing the "right row".

Hope this isn't too confusing. For circular needles, put a ring, bobby pin, safety pin or anything else that is removable into the first stitch. This will help keep track, also. Sometimes I use a twist tie. Anything will work that will stay and is removable.

If I am in error or having not written this clearly, I would appreciate anyone else clarifying it for her.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Determining Right and Wrong Knitting Sides, You-Tube video by Jeanette[sp] White from Sugarhouse on eHow.com showed explains this very well. Search input: "right and wrong sides of knitting" brought me to this.
Hope this is helpful.
Rochelle

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
There are lso different ways of casting on so I suppose your "tail" could be on either side, depending on how you casst on.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom