Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I practiced the eastern continental knitting method over garter stitch, I also worked on how seldvage (selvage) stitches would look. Over stockinette stitch, too:

CO 25 sts or so and work away:

SL 1st st as if to purl.......work across; K in the back of last stitch (found in a 1963 knit method book).

Sl 1st st as if to Knit......work across; P in the back of the last stitch.

SLIP TWO stitches as if to purl; K in the back of the last two

Slip THREE stitch as if to purl; etc......

Over stockinette & garter stitch row, too.

Interesting effects.......

Sl 1st stitch as if to purl over stockinette gives you a nice two loop edge to seam. I didn't knit into the back of the last stitch.

Slipping two or three on one side = not reversible, so slip the last two or three two........interesting effects.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Another method of creating a selvage edge that doesn't create that large first stitch on each row....

Cast on 25 stitches, K across, next row K first stitch, P 23 stitches, K last stitch...by knitting the first and last stitch of the purl rows you will create a nice selvage edge that makes seaming easier and holds down the curling effect that stockinette is famous for.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(((((((((( You're welcome, Craftybear!

Last night, I practiced part of the Purse stitch which requires P3 tog which I couldn't do Continental knitting but could do by switching to the English method.

I changed to different yarn and needle sizes, too wondering if that would help; 50-50% acrylic/cotton. It did....some... but I once again had to use the regular Russian purl stitch as the C method is still evading me. Grrr....

No way can I P3 tog using the eastern Continental method.

While I was fiddling, I practiced the Portuguese method across......really loose tension - more practice needed there, eh? LOL!!

Another thing I did while attempting to P3 tog in the C method was to snag those three stitches individually and stretch them UP then going back to enter the stitch - that helped some but the working yarn slips off the needles before I can get it done......so, back to the Russian regular purl or English method. I used the free needle and/or finger nails to stretch them.

The video I watched showed a gal doing the purse stitch and having no trouble at all........((;

I'm thinking 'sky hook' next! LOL!! What size hook is that? @@

Craftybear said:
thank you

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
(((((((((( And after trying dillengently to P 3 tog, I looked at the knit purse stitch video again and it's only over 2 stitches! LOL!!

No wonder I was having such a hard time! ((;, But, P3tog does make an interesting stitch = like a semi colon? Really...........
Craftybear said:
thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom