Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will always remember the nun who taught me to knit,Sister Pauline;my mother was a knitter,but she was left-handed and said she couldn't teach me.My grandmother crocheted,but she didn't teach me either.I now do both,but much prefer knitting!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
A friend in high school. I said I'd never been able to get the hang of it, and she said, "I know what your problem is" and taught me Continental, and I never looked back. Haven't seen her in nearly 50 years but will always be grateful. After I taught myself to cable without a cable needle (not too long ago), I was home free.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My Auntie taught me to knit. She didn't have any children so I used to go and stay with her during the summer holidays for weeks on end. She had the patience of Job with me. She even taught me how to follow a pattern and would sit beside me reading out the instructions stitch by stitch and watching me doing it.

It makes me realise what a duty we have to pass on our knowledge to the younger generation. I would never have learned without her support. I teach all the youngsters to knit and crochet, even the boys. My husband learned to knit at school.

·
Registered
43,279 Posts
My Nanna, my Mum and my Dad taught me, oh and also my three aunts. Luckly they all gave the same advice. We were a real knitty family. My cousins now knit and I'm just teaching my grand daughter who will be 3 in May.

·
Registered
77 Posts
nogginpodge said:
I teach all the youngsters to knit and crochet, even the boys.
I teach boys and girls alike, too. I don't make them continue or anything, but I think it's great for kids and boys tend to need a bit of extra work on fine motor skills. Knitting is good for that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I taught myself to knit with Learn to Knit books. My Mother tried to teach me how to crochet, but I just couldn't get it. At age 67 I'm still learning new knitting patterns, etc. Now I'm a member of a group of women who, knit, crochet and sew items for charity. We help each other.

Charity Knitter

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A friend initiated the knitting and we armed ourselves with needles, yarn and a how to book, in 1972. I was so proud of my first basketweave square and slid it off the needles, only to have it unravel.
We forgot to turn the page on casting/binding off. Have learned an awful lot since those days.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I can honestly say, no one sat with me. I had watched my mum and at 8 or 9yrs old, took 2 needles, a ball of wool, no pattern and made a bootee. It looked like one but, never could be worn ha ha. Just was the shape looking straight at it, no depth. I then just followed patterns and sat in bed, when I should have been asleep, making baby cardies for neighbours. The rest is history.

I wish she had taught me to crochet though, it's easier when your younger!! :lol:

Pam

·
Registered
984 Posts
My first lesson was from a lady that worked in a yarn department in a Department Store. I am left handed. She taught me to cast on left handed, and knit right handed. The first row of knitting is difficult as the stitches are going the wrong direction, but once I am past that I am good to go. I also went to a night class at a high school.
Love to knit!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My dad taught me to knit when I was 4 years old, I taught myself to crochet when my cousin had a baby girl and I felt she needed some really pretty things to wear. I bought the wool and a pattern, and with a small teaching book, completed a matinee jacket.

·
Registered
387 Posts
NyackGal said:
I will always remember the nun who taught me to knit,Sister Pauline;my mother was a knitter,but she was left-handed and said she couldn't teach me.My grandmother crocheted,but she didn't teach me either.I now do both,but much prefer knitting!!
A friend(right handed) taught me. I crochet left handed due to a handicap. My mama-in -law showed me the basics of knitting. I like to crochet more because I am a little slower at knitting. (Except when I really put my determination into it.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
there was a class at my school when i was in 9th grade... the teacher taught us to knit , flower arrange with fresh and dry flowers and pottery... we made mugs that had to be fired in a kiln... best class ever ... it started me on my way to loving crafts

1 - 20 of 378 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom