Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I did the same with counted cross stitch kits. I bought lots while still working in case I couldn't afford to spend after retirement, so I'd always have something to do... Now I have lost interest in counted cross stitch and have all these kits sitting there... I donated several to charity a year or so back... I have too much yarn also, but at least I am constantly working on reducing my stash... I don't go to places where I may be tempted to buy very often... I don't shop on line, so I'm safe in that way... :sm02: :sm02: :sm02:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I am Amanda from Cedar Park Texas. Retired May of 2015. I too spent years collecting a stash for my retirement. Moved from Nederland Tx about a year ago. Brought with me 40 contaiers of Yarn, instruction books and fabric. No furniture, appliances, kitchen stuff or electronics. I am happily sitching away. My only problem...I keep getting coupons from Joann, Mike and HL. So I am still buying more yarn. Stitchin and laughing all the way to the graveyard. My sons can figure out what to do with the left overs.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I too bought yarn for years, thinking to have it "just in case". I lost my husband last year and 50% of my income, just in case is here. The money is not the issue. My knitting brings back good memories of talking about my knitting with him and gives me something important to do with my life (charity knitting). You never know when "just in case" may happen.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
I justify my stash in a myriad of ways but now I am selling some of it because I think I have too much yarn and I will never knit it all up. I am finding yarn that I forgot I had and I am finding myself getting excited over some of the sock yarn I have found! Yay!

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
I won't be able to afford it when I retire in a few years is my excuse. Not that I really need one. DH has bad knees and rarely climbs the stairs....so I keep my stash upstairs in my craft room and he really has no idea how much is up here!???? He probably wouldn't say anything, anyway. His mom was a knitter.

·
Registered
29,386 Posts
Knitcrazydeborah said:
A good friend once was asked if she really needed all of "that yarn" by her husband. She looked him straight in the eye and said "golf ".
He never brought it up again.
Loved it.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Knitcrazydeborah said:
A good friend once was asked if she really needed all of "that yarn" by her husband. She looked him straight in the eye and said "golf ".
He never brought it up again.
Good answer. A round of golf is a fair few skeins of the best yarns

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
There are so many great "reasons" or "excuses" that I hope I can remember if asked. Mainly, this shows we are not alone, and it reinforces the love of fiber that gives pleasure. I'm in the same boat as chooksnpinkroses about cross stitch, too. Some years ago, knitting was on the back burner and I "invested" in tons of cross stitch books, pamphlets, floss, cloths, etc. I am in the process of destashing--but it takes some real strength to discard things that were so lovingly collected with great intentions for its use. And finding the appropriate recipient? The land fill seems too harsh! Now that I am back to knitting as main hobby, I am trying not to let my yarn stash get quite so out of control. (Oops.. that ship has sailed--but I truly am trying to stay away from sales and work down what I have. )

·
Registered
42,303 Posts
LindaH said:
I justify my stash in a myriad of ways but now I am selling some of it because I think I have too much yarn and I will never knit it all up. I am finding yarn that I forgot I had and I am finding myself getting excited over some of the sock yarn I have found! Yay!
Always a way to justify any amount of stash, but in the same boat of de-stashing most with not able to knit much. many were my moms. With no one else who knit's I got all the yarns bought for her she didn't use, so now have all that was mine and mom's. Besides the many books , booklets and accessories (can't believe the collection between us).

Enjoy your stash and happy knitting.

1 - 19 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom