Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This hat pattern can be found in "A Gathering of Lace" by Meg Swanson. Doing it turned into an adventure -- first of all I used Size 10 crochet thread (next time either size 5 thread or smaller needles). Once knitted which only took 1 day, I had to figure out how to block it. Ended up making a waterproof hat block out of styrofoam disks and carving them into proper size. Had to starch it twice (first batch of boiled starch was not heavy enough). Also had to decide how to make a sweat band and how to attach it. Even though the sweat band is hidden it is critical to shaping. And then I had to decide how to "dress" and show the hat -- so ended up making hat stands and forming hair on the wig heads. What a hoot!!!! Not sure if I will be doing it again -- maybe with a different lace pattern.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,212 Posts
Beautiful!!!!!
It is just awesome. Love it.
Linda

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Belle1 said:
JanieSue -- hadn't heard of Stiffen before -- is it a "crafts" store type of purchase. Is it a spray-on?

Thanks for all our comments.
JoAnn's carries Stiffen, it is made by Aleene's. I use to make ShihTzu bows and I used it for them, then when I made my hats I decided to try it on them. You can also get it through Amazon.

Where did you find your pattern? I love making hats and especially the big brim ones.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom