Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am on XP and am beginning to wonder if I am being sabotaged, since no more updates, I still get the shield icon saying it needs updating, after that my computer acts up and gets real slow, I have a malware fighter and Avast Virus that have picked a lot of things up, I never used to get any virus or malware problems, this has only happened since the updates have finished, have any of you experienced this

· Registered
3,988 Posts
ultrahiggs said:
Hi, I am on XP and am beginning to wonder if I am being sabotaged, since no more updates, I still get the shield icon saying it needs updating, after that my computer acts up and gets real slow, I have a malware fighter and Avast Virus that have picked a lot of things up, I never used to get any virus or malware problems, this has only happened since the updates have finished, have any of you experienced this
Upgrade as soon as you can. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9241585/XP_s_retirement_will_be_hacker_heaven

Everyone complains about how much they hate Windows 8 ( which is actually Windows 8.1 as its a major upgrade from 8) but believe me when I tell you how much people complained about Windows XP when it first went GA. If you insist in staying with Windows - you will just have to bite the bullet and learn the new platform as Windows 9 is on its way( http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/windows-9-preview-tipped-for-early-2015-ahead-of-full-spring-launch-1249159) OR buy MAC and relax for about the next 5 years

· Registered
10,745 Posts
ultrahiggs said:
Yes, we were told XP has no updates. Time for a new computer. Bummer. I have windows 7. I would ask on the internet before going any further. Hubby read something in there about a lot of people complaining about XP and was going to fix it. Not sure.

· Registered
337 Posts
I don`t know the answer to your query, but stay on XP if you can. I knew where everything was, but my new computer has windows 8. They are evil! Last week my Grandson, who had been using the computer, said Nanna, I have updated your computer and you now have windows 8.1
Oh dear! Now, all my addresses are somewhere different and I can`t just type in the first couple of letters in the "to" space and see the rest just come, I now have to look up the addresses in a different place, then type every letter in. So frustrating.

· Registered
10,745 Posts
wurzel said:
I don`t know the answer to your query, but stay on XP if you can. I knew where everything was, but my new computer has windows 8. They are evil! Last week my Grandson, who had been using the computer, said Nanna, I have updated your computer and you now have windows 8.1
Oh dear! Now, all my addresses are somewhere different and I can`t just type in the first couple of letters in the "to" space and see the rest just come, I now have to look up the addresses in a different place, then type every letter in. So frustrating.
Oh no, wurzel. Could you double click on that person's name and a email box will pop up? I don't understand why people want to put new stuff when the other wasn't broken.
It's just that if you keep XP , you won't have a very good protection. Don't do banking, etc on it.

· Registered
3,988 Posts
Juneperk said:
Yes, we were told XP has no updates. Time for a new computer. Bummer. I have windows 7. I would ask on the internet before going any further. Hubby read something in there about a lot of people complaining about XP and was going to fix it. Not sure.
This only applies to corporate who are still on XP - unfortunately joe public will just have to risk it on XP as they will become ghost computers for hacker out there; they have already found how to exploit it or upgrade to the latest Microsoft has to offer or just defect to Apple products ( or Linux , however MAC OS is Linux - just a different flavor)

· Registered
2,876 Posts
I think it's all about money, June.

· Registered
3,988 Posts
As an IT expert, let me tell you what I hate the most about Windows 8.1.

Its the fact that Microsoft has decided to take control of your system. If you are signing into your PC with a Microsoft live ID, then know they are pretty much in control. You can bypass this if you know how, but This irks me so much that after 20 years of carrying the torch for Windows, I am ready to cross over to the dark side and buy a MAC

· Registered
2,390 Posts
I was XP and had used it for so many years and decided to buy some thing new as Which magazine had warned some time ago that XP would no longer be secure when support was withdrawn. Windows eight was what the store had and assured me that once I got used to it I would be fine, I have used a computer for many years and have never been so frustrated and at times in despair as I have been with windows eight it is like they have turned the whole system upside down for no good reason I am not as one assistant in the store said that "some people just don't like change"I am always keen to learn something new. The one thing that upsets me is that I have not been able to post on KP for some months as it refuses to allow me to download pictures from my Samsung tablet I could go on with a long list even with the update which helped a little it is not a pleasure to use but what is the alternative my money has been spent so I will just have to get on with it

· Registered
3,624 Posts
I still have and swear by XP, just means i do virus checks etc more often...
I use firefox, i prefer it to chrome. But as with everything else it's a matter of taste.
and as for buying a new computer etc, just to upgrade windows.. i wouldn't bother, you can get the operating system without having to change your computer/laptop/whatever...

· Super Moderator
21,250 Posts
dwernars said:
As an IT expert, let me tell you what I hate the most about Windows 8.1.

Its the fact that Microsoft has decided to take control of your system. If you are signing into your PC with a Microsoft live ID, then know they are pretty much in control. You can bypass this if you know how, but This irks me so much that after 20 years of carrying the torch for Windows, I am ready to cross over to the dark side and buy a MAC
I LOVE my Mac. I have a desktop computer purchased in 2004 that still works well for most things - some have been upgraded beyond what this computer will do. I also have a laptop, iPad and iPhone. LOVE them all. We have never had a problem with a virus or malware. I will never go back to a PC. I only use the iPhone for my convenience, and only two or three people have that number, but I love the way it syncs to the laptop and iPad so if I am out and need to check on a pattern, it's right there on the phone

· Registered
3,988 Posts
chickkie said:
I LOVE my Mac. I have a desktop computer purchased in 2004 that still works well for most things - some have been upgraded beyond what this computer will do. I also have a laptop, iPad and iPhone. LOVE them all. We have never had a problem with a virus or malware. I will never go back to a PC. I only use the iPhone for my convenience, and only two or three people have that number, but I love the way it syncs to the laptop and iPad so if I am out and need to check on a pattern, it's right there on the phone
Yes they certainly had the 'cloud' down before Microsoft did and that is what Microsoft is trying to achieve with these new versions of their OS - they are trying to emulate what Apple did and have the vast private Windows user in a tizzy because they didn't transition well. It was just a case 'well here it is - sink or swim'. I had bench tested Windows 8 before it was GA ( General Availability) released and hated it but since the place I was working for were always '(b)leading edge', I knew I had would have to deploy it sooner or later. And then when you have 250 Windows Server systems waiting to be upgraded to the latest Server OS which has also changed quite considerably, it gives new meaning to sweating blood.

I am fast becoming a MAC lover due to the simplicity of the way all their devices interact seamlessly without all the pain and suffering Windows users are going through

· Registered
3,988 Posts
crochet_away said:
I still have and swear by XP, just means i do virus checks etc more often...
I use firefox, i prefer it to chrome. But as with everything else it's a matter of taste.
and as for buying a new computer etc, just to upgrade windows.. i wouldn't bother, you can get the operating system without having to change your computer/laptop/whatever...
Your choice but when Virus software makers ( as well as browser developers as they clamor to keep up with current web standards) decide to stop supporting XP ....which is coming, you will have issues.
Unfortunatelly it isn't just a case of just buying the new operating system. The first XP computers that came out were launched with 256MB Memory and Windows XP is a 32 bit system which means at maximum, it only supports up to 3GB of memory. With all the multimedia plus the Graphical interfaces of new software, 3GB of memory is BARELY enough to run Windows 8.1. - Besides an old PC would have slow memory buses which means that new memory won't work on an old motherboard. And then there's the issue with graphics cards and whether the newer ones would be supported by the system board. The harddrive would be 5400RPM or slower. This all means you could load Windows 8.1 and then sit and stare at the Metro screen because you won't be able to do anything else.

· Registered
3,988 Posts
SwampCatNana said:
Is the same thing happening to their VISTA version?
VISTA was a transition operating system IOW - it was Microsoft's practice run between XP and Windows 7. So it was rubbish but they fooled people into using it to test the software. Same happened with Windows ME in 2000 - it was a transition OS between Windows 98 and XP. Neither were in the loop long enough for any business to adopt them.

Microsoft has long been known to get users to pay ( buy the OS or a crappy computer running the OS) to test their software.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom