Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
The different views wouldn't have to be overlapping, and in one photo, but I do like that it's wound into a cake, so you can see all the colors, and I love that you can see a top view, and what it looks like knitted!

I wish everyone would display yarn you're buying over the internet this way!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
The samples you see are simply ‘hooks’ to get you to buy the yarn. Unless you cast on the same number of stitches, you won’t be replicating what you see in the sample. And for samples in the store that you can actually feel will be different when you get it home and on your needles with your gauge.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
abc123retired said:
The samples you see are simply 'hooks' to get you to buy the yarn. Unless you cast on the same number of stitches, you won't be replicating what you see in the sample. And for samples in the store that you can actually feel will be different when you get it home and on your needles with your gauge.
I've found that with variegated colored yarns, in cake form it's harder for me to tell what color is dominant. I've even been surprised by colors I hadn't seen in the cake, but magically appear as I knit. Ombre yarn is a little easier to judge, but I've had trouble with the multi colored ones. Seeing a little swatch answers many questions.

·
Registered
22,991 Posts
JoyceinNC said:
I've found that with variegated colored yarns, in cake form it's harder for me to tell what color is dominant. I've even been surprised by colors I hadn't seen in the cake, but magically appear as I knit. Ombre yarn is a little easier to judge, but I've had trouble with the multi colored ones. Seeing a little swatch answers many questions.
Totally agree with you. I love seeing the colors that come up while you're knitting, colors that you didn't even anticipate. ;-) A knitted swatch that's shown on a yarn website gives you a good idea of how the yarn will look knitted up, regardless of your gauge. Yes, there are some yarns that I'm sure require a specific gauge to get the "right" results, such as yarns that produce little flower prints or specific color pooling or other specific patterns. One yarn that Hobbii offers has a description that tells you that "this yarn will only work up this way if you knit it in the round to make socks." So you know that, if you use the yarn to make something else, such as a shawl or sweater, the result isn't going to be the same. I've been delighted with the yarns I've purchased that show what a knitted sample looks like. It's an enormous help. No two knitters are going to get the exact same results, but a sample--online or in a store--is a big help to give you a general picture of the knitted-up yarn.

Hazel

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom