Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
I am sorry for your loss and am glad you are getting comfort from your beautiful knitting! You did a great job on the shawl and love the colors you picked. If you have it on do the edges show much? If you still don't like it on you then I guess I would do a row of maybe single crochet or slip stitches along the edge but am not sure what color to pick

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
You need to reblock it, stretching it out further. If you don’t have blocking wires, you can use a sturdy string, lacing it through along the top edge and anchoring each end. Blocking gets rid of wobbly!????. It’s a lovely shawl. I appreciate your comment about learning to be a widow. My husband died less than three years ago and I am still learning.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
So sorry for your loss.

You can block that edge again. If you have straight needles of any kind you can use them if you don't have blocking wires. I don't think it matters that much and is unlikely to be noticed when you are wearing it because the design is so beautiful and varied that it draws the eyes away from the edge.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Is it for you, and does it really bother you? At some point, you may want to block it again, so perhaps wait until that happens and use blocking wires at that point. It is a lovely project. If it were me, I would probably go ahead and crochet an edge (I usually do as a finishing technique, as I can be "hard" on that edge of mine) and then block that edge gently. I like to go ahead and do all the techniques at the time of creation, as if I say "I will do it later," later may make it seem like a chore for me. :)

Sorry for your loss; I know this is difficult. Keep on knitting and keep in touch. :)

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
I don't think it will show when you wear it. If you are keeping it just try blocking it next time you wash it. Anything you add to that edge will limit the stretch, especially crochet. I would not do that. The color combination is excellent.
Sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
81,056 Posts
GrannyMo said:
Thank you for all your replies. I have never used wires for blocking so will give that a try if they are available online.
They are, but if budget matters, stainless steel welding rods are a far less costly alternative. They might need rough ends smoothed and may need to have greasy flux washed off before use, but that's all.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom