Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always bought my yarn from my local craft stores. My favorite one is love this yarn by Hobby Lobby. I walked into a real yarn store and my mouth dropped at the prices they were selling yarn and needles for so much more than what im use to paying. I looked at the yarn touch and wondered what is the diffrence between the stores to make a afgan or sweater at the yarn store would cost me about a 100 plus dollars can someone explain to me. Im feeling a little confused here. My items hold up well.. Does anyone elese think thats a lot to pay for yarn or I am the only one. I do know some are very cheap out there but this has always got me wondering

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
My personal opinion is that unless I'm doing something that's really an extra-special gift (for me or someone else), I can't see spending more for yarn than I'd spend to buy the item already made. Another consideration is whether the recipient will be likely to make the effort to care for and launder the item as the instructions call for. With my budget, yarn shops are mostly for dreaming.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Your LYS has to charge more for its products in order to stay in business. The chains can work on a lower margin. I don't pretend to understand it all, but I know that spreading the income source over a great number of products allows a lower per-item price.

I do notice that my LYSs carry better grades of yarn as a rule. They also offer better service.

I priced Cascade 220 online and it was $1.00 less per skein than at the LYS. Because I know that I am going to be needing help on several stages of my planned project, I am willing to pay the extra $12.00 it is going to cost me for my yarn locally.

I cannot depend on help from the chains; Michaels' is currently advertising a yarn night--or some such title--but when I tried to sign up at the desk, I was told they were "looking for an instructor." I know that the skill level of the staff at the LYS is high and I will always receive the help I need. As long as I buy most of my yarn there, they are willing to also help with projects for which I purchased supplies elsewhere. I don't feel it would be reasonable to expect them to help me if I don't support them in return. Help is always available there, seven days a week. Ask for help on something at one of the chains and see what the response is!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Peggy Beryl said:
Your LYS has to charge more for its products in order to stay in business. The chains can work on a lower margin. I don't pretend to understand it all, but I know that spreading the income source over a great number of products allows a lower per-item price.

I do notice that my LYSs carry better grades of yarn as a rule. They also offer better service.

I priced Cascade 220 online and it was $1.00 less per skein than at the LYS. Because I know that I am going to be needing help on several stages of my planned project, I am willing to pay the extra $12.00 it is going to cost me for my yarn locally.

I cannot depend on help from the chains; Michaels' is currently advertising a yarn night--or some such title--but when I tried to sign up at the desk, I was told they were "looking for an instructor." I know that the skill level of the staff at the LYS is high and I will always receive the help I need. As long as I buy most of my yarn there, they are willing to also help with projects for which I purchased supplies elsewhere. I don't feel it would be reasonable to expect them to help me if I don't support them in return. Help is always available there, seven days a week. Ask for help on something at one of the chains and see what the response is!
Beautiful answer, Peggy, and sage advice. You said it all!!

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,338 Posts
lynnie2 said:
... Does anyone elese think thats a lot to pay for yarn or I am the only one. I do know some are very cheap out there but this has always got me wondering
Well, maybe I am 'cheap', but I look at it as thrifty or frugal, not cheap. It's also 'GREEN to buy yarn at second-hand stores, church bazaars, garage sales, etc. or to buy discarded knits to rip out and re-purpose the yarn. I'm giving unwanted yarn a second chance! That's not 'cheap'!

If, no, make that when I need help, I know I can bring my problem to our Sunday Knitting Meeting and someone will probably be able to assist me. I'm sure I could also get help from an LYS, but I won't walk in and ask for help ever again. I got a chilly reception the one time I attempted to ask for help, and I wanted to buy the wool for the project from that place, too! I got it elsewhere and muddled through the pattern on my own. In my heart, I know that there are newer and better LYSOs in town today than 35 years ago, but ... I'm just not willing to even try again.

Besides, at the size of the things I knit (king-sized bed blankets and such), I'd be bankrupt if I had to pay LYS prices for my yarn!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think there is a place for both. My local yarn shop is run by a lovely lady who will wind hanks for me as she considers thar part of her range of services. She once wound some sock weight yarn for me, found it had breaks in it, gave me another hank and the yarn with breaks as well. I can sit at a table, browse through books and take all the time I want choosing from her wonderful selection of yarns and accessories.

That said, I also shop Michaels for many other crafting and needlework supplies. I once had an LYS owner tell me that she bought her embroidery floss at Michael's because it was cheaper than she could buy it wholesale!

I'm also a big fan of Internet shopping if you know what you're getting.

There are so many sources out there I get a little woozy just thinking about them.

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,338 Posts
mgrsis01 said:
There are so many sources out there I get a little woozy just thinking about them.
Be careful! You might 'accidently' max out your credit cards while in a woozy state!!;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you've ever purchased yarn from a "real" yarn store, you'll only buy your yarn there for "gifts" or "good" projects! I have always purchased yarn from Michaels, JoAnns, Walmart, etc. then one day I was brave enough to go into a real yarn store, far and few between around here, I was in awe. I taught myself the Entralac stitch and made a beautiful scarf with Noro Silk Garden. YES, it was expensive but the quality was well worth it!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
The yarn at my LYS is lovely but I can't afford it unless there's a sale. When I first learned to knit, my budget was in better shape and I splurged on some better-quality yarn. I still have a lot of it in my stash, but these days I mostly buy yarn at Michaels.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think Peggy makes a good point. Our yarn stores cannot stay in busness unless supported. I buy from both discount stores and my LYS (in another city BTW). A very special project for someone as a gift might be better if yarn is from LYS. Like she said, especially if you expect to need some help on it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would say that I purchase about 90% of my yarn from my LYS, about 6% from the Internet, and the remaining 4% from the big box stores. I also feel the need to shop local if we want to keep the independent stores in business, and if you look many time you will find yarns of comparable price but better quality at your LYS. Not everything they carry is high priced.give you LYS's a chance. They are there to serve you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I try to comparison shop all the time but I do believe in supporting local small businesses. I live in a metropolitan area and there are 3-4 nice LYS within a 30 minute drive. I also have an abundace of the craft stores. I have found that the LYS have much better prices for their classes than the craft store chains and I do try to support them and agree that they carry much nicer yarns. However, if I am going to make something from acrylic yarn, I will probably purchase at the craft store. I think it depends on your project and who is going to receive it/use it. I also shop on-line. On-line I may be looking for a discontinued yarn or am familiar with a brand, etc. With all of this said - you can imagine how many tubs of yarn I have - well maybe you can't!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am a self confessed yarn snob. Generally, 10% acrylic/nylon is my limit on non natural fiber in my yarn. When I first began knitting, I also got all of my yarn from Walmart, Joanns, etc. Then one day I walked into a yarn shop, and I was in shock. I had no idea that there was alpaca, silk, mohair, and more types of yarn. I thought there was only wool and Red Heart, lol. I still do buy from Joanns or Michaels from time to time, usually the Sugar n Cream yarn. Sometimes I make an exception if the yarn feels really nice, but mostly I only knit with wool, alpaca, silk, cashmere, etc. and the chain stores just don't carry those types of yarns. For instance, I love Araucania Ruca yarn, but that is only available at the LYS or online.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom