Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a confession to make. Prior to stumbling upon this site, the only yarn I had ever used was plain ole acrylic yarn, in worsted, sport, and baby wts. Now, I have been exposed to some truly gorgeous yarns that I bought from some of you members here. My confession is this: I am coming to believe that I am actually SCARED of this lovely high end yarn......scared I will mess it up. I have started 3 shawls, and a scarf, ( none of them too very complicated) , and have had to rip them out countless times. WHY? I have been knitting lace ( some of it fairly complicated) out of acrylic yarn and acrylic/mohair blends, and seldom rip out...but these nice merino wools, silk blends, and other luxury yarns are throwing me for a loop. Any suggestions to get me past this luxury yarn " fear"? ( VERY silly, I know)

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
It's probably because you're so much use to the tension, gauge etc. the yarn you've been using for so long has. And now, with the new yarns, everything is different - and yet, even though you do know in your mind it would be different, somewhere deep inside where habits are installed, you expect it to be the same... You'll get use to it, don't worry.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
It is like wearing old free sunglasses. You never loose them so you invest in a high dollar pair. First sunny day you wear them and lose them.
With the nicer yarn: just knit with it-no pattern intended just knit until you get the feel of it. Then knit a lace scarf.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
It is like wearing old free sunglasses. You never loose them so you invest in a high dollar pair. First sunny day you wear them and lose them.
With the nicer yarn: just knit with it-no pattern intended just knit until you get the feel of it. Then knit a lace scarf.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
That is precisely the reason I don't like RedHeart yarns! I enjoyed them enough to knit/crochet 7 afghans the winter I could afford the price and I've disliked them ever since. I want BETTER grades now that I know what I'm doing. I think its natural since I felt the same about cheap fabrics once I learned how to sew.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Aren't expensive yarns FABULOUS?!?!?! I started knitted long enough ago that acrylic yarn was the only yarn readily available and in my budget. Slowly I've begun to venture into the wonderful world of amazing yarn. I'd give you a hug if I could and remind you that different projects NEED different yarn. Same way different projects need different needles--wood, metal, plastic--straight, DP, circular....be gentle with yourself and enjoy the yarn. That's all. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Always need to remind myself that every yarn, regardless of content, reacts differently. When I make several things with one yarn, I expect the next project to behave the same way. Have frogged too many times because I didn't remember to check it out first.

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
Intimidated by yarn? Nope. Not that luxury yarn and I cross paths. I do ocassionally use good quality yarn, but, I don't hold myself to an impossible standard of perfection. Yarn does not bleed, so if you have a mishap with it, you're only out the cash. Are my works garbage because I often use easy care fibers? I don't think so, and neither do the grateful recipients.

·
Registered
161,504 Posts
Irish knitter said:
I have never tried high end yarn and my question is.....is there really a difference? Isn't yarn just yarn?
There is definitely a difference! A huge difference with some yarns. Some yarns feel so utterly soft all you want to do is stroke them, cuddle with them etc.

Other are so rough and scratch you want to use them as a back scratcher.

And don't forget all the ones in-between. The different weights, etc., are so varied, sometimes it is difficult to decide which yarn to knit/crochet with.

·
Registered
11,091 Posts
When I first started knitting I knew nothing about yarn & just bought inexpensive acrylic yarn. It worked fine for my learning period & then I was introduced to my LYS & the lovely yarn they have & that is where I'm staying.
Yes, there is a huge difference between yarns--even some of the finer ones.

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
I had some different yarns in front of me one day and held some of them out to my sister to feel how nice they felt, then some others to show her the difference in their textures. She could not feel anyou difference! No wonder she talks the way she does about the yarn I buy, she speaks unkindly in tone and sometimes about the cost. Not being able to feel the beauty of the fibers has to be like being blind. I feel so bad for her.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I mostly use acrylic and am definitely noticing the difference. Most acrylic yarn is stiffer than wool blends, so hats and sweaters stand up on their own, but it's more pleasant to touch than pure wool or wool with a high wool content (luxury wool yarns are probably different). Some really bad acrylic brands knit up horribly because they stretch - I haven't noticed that until I started knitting, crocheting them is fine. Cotton is soft anf stiff, pretty heavy, and they say it often stretches out. My favorite is a 75-25 mix of acrylic and wool. It's soft and affordable.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Irish knitter said:
I have never tried high end yarn and my question is.....is there really a difference? Isn't yarn just yarn?
I was used to knitting with acrylics...then i bought some expensive (on clearance at Webs) 100% wool, hand dyed from Chile. It was such a pleasure to work with, i cannot wait to knit with higher quality yarn again. .

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom