Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping that someone can help me straighten my curly circular cables - I recall a few posts about this but can't remember the advice given.
I'm using interchangeable Knit Pro, and so far I've tried putting them in boiling water for a few minutes which didn't relax them at all. Do I need to stretch them out afterwards? Or am I on completely the wrong track here? Any advice would be much appreciated, many thanks, Julia

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Boiling water is the way to go (few seconds) but then you must stretch them out immediately, weight down each end, until cool. I do this on my ironing board. Seems to take care of the problem. I also store them, when not in use, in a holder that lets them hang down and relax when they are resting.

·
Registered
20,406 Posts
Is Knit Pro the same as Knit Picks? You might try getting some Knitter's Pride cables. I like them better and they're available in different colors for different lengths and fit my Knit Picks tips. The Knit Picks cables I've gotten recently were not very nice. I had to complain; they gave me my money back.

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Put them on a rimmed cookie sheet - pour the boiling water over them and watch then uncurl. Let me sit for a couple minutes then pull out with tongs and pin thru the tightening holes to the ironing board (good idea keepmeinstitches) till cool

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I hold them by one tip against a wall or door jamb and run a hair dryer up and down the length of the cable. A few inches from the cable and watch the cable relax. Store them very loosely coiled in larger zip lock bag or drape over hook,closet rod,doorknob whatever. That way they won't rekink.

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
I lay mine vertically over the ironing board and use a shot of steam. I just keep moving the cord until it has all been treated and this has worked for me. Just hover the iron above the cord being careful not to touch the cord.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
A little bit off-topic, BUT if you have Boye circs, the Chia Goo Red Twist cables (so well-behaved and flexible) AND the 99-cent adapter will fit your circs.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I believe Knit Pro is like our Knit Pics/Knitters Pride here in the US, see if you can buy their "new" color coded cords.
Example-16"-yellow, 20"-blue, 24"-green, 32"-orange, 40"-red.
You can buy them individually $2.99 or the whole set for $11.99. These are the prices from the latest catalog from Patternworks/www.patternworks.com

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I don't bother and my circulars are old so very curly and I don't store them straight, naughty me. My projects almost always are sweaters and the amount of stitches and the weight of the yarn keeps the cables from curling. Now if I were knitting lace that would be impossible to knit without uncurling--think you got some good advice on that.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks to everyone for your advice, very helpful and much appreciated. Lots of different things to try! I didn't realise KnitPro was a European thing. Klrober - will definitely look at the website you suggested, though not sure you can buy it here, all the KnitPro cords are either black or purple, regardless of length, it's just which colour you prefer. Thanks again everyone, best wishes, Julia

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom