Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
In Memoriam
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, this was knit without a pattern. Once you know your guage for the yarn and needles that you are using it is just simple math to make a garment. Guage X Measurements = required stitches. Shaping is computed the same way. Draw simple diagrams of the garment pieces with the measurements of each height and width. Then compute each measurement to number of stitches and rows. This is not really that difficult and always allows you to "knit to fit".

Attachments

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
sockit2me said:
Once again, this was knit without a pattern. Once you know your guage for the yarn and needles that you are using it is just simple math to make a garment. Guage X Measurements = required stitches. Shaping is computed the same way. Draw simple diagrams of the garment pieces with the measurements of each height and width. Then compute each measurement to number of stitches and rows. This is not really that difficult and always allows you to "knit to fit".
Once upon a time I wouldn't even THINK about doing this. However, after knitting "your" 12" socks, I think ANYthing you suggest is possible!! I just may consider this in the not-too-distant future, Eric!!
...gloria

·
In Memoriam
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
impatient knitter said:
Once upon a time I wouldn't even THINK about doing this. However, after knitting "your" 12" socks, I think ANYthing you suggest is possible!! I just may consider this in the not-too-distant future, Eric!!
...gloria
Gloria: I want you to be a self-reliant, confident knitter...YOU can do
anything!! Trust yourself and always consider any boo-boos along the way as part of the learning process! Keep up the good work ! :thumbup: :thumbup: :) :)

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
sockit2me said:
Gloria: I want you to be a self-reliant, confident knitter...YOU can do
anything!! Trust yourself and always consider any boo-boos along the way as part of the learning process! Keep up the good work ! :thumbup: :thumbup: :) :)
Awwww shucks.....coming from YOU, Eric, that's praise indeed!! Thanks for the vote of confidence!!

...gloria

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Go, Gloria!

I am singing this to you.... VERY off key.......

Leave them hangin' on the line, oh-oh-oh, calling Gloria
Gloria, I think they got your number (Gloria)
I think they got the alias (Gloria) that you've been living under (impatient knitter)
But you really don't remember, was it something that they said?
Are the voices in your head calling, Gloria?

It was only a matter of time, Miss Impatience. I apologize for my lack of self control..... BTW... I have voices in MY head too! Giggle, giggle, giggle.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Great job, as always...and a fine explanation... seemingly "easy"...thanks for sharing!!! HUGS...GG

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
AmyKnits said:
Go, Gloria!

I am singing this to you.... VERY off key.......

Leave them hangin' on the line, oh-oh-oh, calling Gloria
Gloria, I think they got your number (Gloria)
I think they got the alias (Gloria) that you've been living under (impatient knitter)
But you really don't remember, was it something that they said?
Are the voices in your head calling, Gloria?

It was only a matter of time, Miss Impatience. I apologize for my lack of self control..... BTW... I have voices in MY head too! Giggle, giggle, giggle.
Hey, Amy...at least you didn't sing the "G-L-O-R-I-A -- Gloria" one. And the Christmas one, (Gloria in Excelsis Deo)? At least I can think they're singing about God, and not me!

BTW, Amy, if you haven't picked up on it yet, I owe a huge thanks to YOU as well as to Eric! If it were not for the two of you, I'd still be playing around with DPNs!! I really LOVE the 12" socks. Don't know if--or why!--you'd remember, but with the DPNs, I could never join that first round. I'd K2P2 back and forth for a few rows, and THEN join, leaving my (in)famous "slit" at the top of the cuff to sew up afterwards. Not anymore!! With casting onto #4 circs first ("loosely!" I can hear Eric emphasizing) and then slipping them to the 12" number ones (Yikes! Ones? Even THAT was a new thing for me!), I can "close" that little puppy right up and continue on with my sock, which as we all know, is the BEST part!!

You and Eric have taught me SOOOO much regarding socks--and knitting in general, as well as having given me a lot of self-confidence to try other patterns!! Like I said, I owe you both a large debt of gratitude!!

...gloria

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom