Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or buying :) I've fallen in love with natural dyes precious but it's out of my price range.
From reading through here tho I've seen it mentioned that silk blends can be very slippy?
I'm looking to do a simple shawl for friends wedding. Anyone got any other suggestions re yarn? I loved the little shimmer the precious had

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
I knit shawls a lot and I use just about any yarn that is comfortable. I love to knit with lace and sock weights for shawls.

I mainly use merino wool. Also, if you like silk weights or naturally dyed yarns, use a wooden or bamboo needle. The slippery yarn stitches don't slip as much.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
WelshWooly said:
Have a look here http://www.ethniccrafts.co.uk/. The silk yarns are recycled and knit like aran but if you are into more natural yarns some un dyed so you can chose your own colour. they have expanded but I haven't tried them. They may have some thing you fany and certainly at affordable prices
Thanks for this site. I have just had a look and ordered a few different ones to see what it is like. Will post later when I have received them.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Silk is very slippery. You should use it with wood or bamboo needles to control the slipperiness of it. It knits up beautifully. That said, if you are looking at lace weight yarn, in something affordable, look for a tencel blend. You get the sheen of silk, but not the price. Webs has some coned wool/tencel blend on sale until Friday (hint, hint) which is the same weight as Zephyr and very lovely to work with. Price isn't all that bad either.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Whitwillhands said:
WelshWooly said:
Have a look here http://www.ethniccrafts.co.uk/. The silk yarns are recycled and knit like aran but if you are into more natural yarns some un dyed so you can chose your own colour. they have expanded but I haven't tried them. They may have some thing you fany and certainly at affordable prices
Thanks for this site. I have just had a look and ordered a few different ones to see what it is like. Will post later when I have received them.
Well this yarn arrived this morning, very quick delivery. Yarn very chunky apart from the spun cotton. But the recycled yarn would be good for crafters, not really suitable for a garment I don't think.
Now stumped as to what to make with it.
Beautiful colours though.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have used bamboo and it is soft and drapes well. If you can find it rather easily I'd go for that. It has a bit of a shine to it also. I would also suggest the wooden needles, but honestly I used aluminum needles and the yarn just slid across it so easy, making it very fast to knit up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom