Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, now this may sound a bit stupit but, I got 6 skeins of wool, I need to know if I have to rewind it into ball, I have never done this before. thanks. x

·
Registered
16,213 Posts
I think it depends on how it's wound to begin with. If it is a pull through skein, you don't have to rewind it; if it's a looped skein (for lack of a better word), you will. I usually do all mine anyway (even the pull throughs), because it lets me find any knots, bad places, etc. before I start knitting with it. I get really annoyed when I am knitting along and suddenly a knot or weak or bumpy place turns up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh thank you, I think I will rewind it like you do, and yes I,ve had those joins in wool before, you never know when their coming, maybe I should start to rewind all my wool, it would save me getting mad when it happens. thank you for replying. x

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorlenna said:
I think it depends on how it's wound to begin with. If it is a pull through skein, you don't have to rewind it; if it's a looped skein (for lack of a better word), you will. I usually do all mine anyway (even the pull throughs), because it lets me find any knots, bad places, etc. before I start knitting with it. I get really annoyed when I am knitting along and suddenly a knot or weak or bumpy place turns up.
I rather wish I'd thought of that, but it didn't occur to me, and I've just found a random knot in my yarn. Grr...

·
Premium Member
81,181 Posts
donnameg said:
Hi everyone, now this may sound a bit stupid but, I got 6 skeins of wool, I need to know if I have to rewind it into ball, I have never done this before. thanks. x
Why might your very valid question "sound a bit stupid"? Do you know anyone who was born knowing anything about anything? We all spend our lives learning; when we stop learning, we're dead - even if still breathing. There's a very true saying, "The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked." Ask fearlessly! The answer you get will also answer the unasked questions of others more shy than you. :-D

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I would NOT rewind a pound of yarn or a supersaver... but I do rewind most of my yarn.. actually I have to admit rewinding my pound of baby yarn into more manageable balls..
The trick is to NOT wind it too TIGHTLY you will stretch the yarn ... if you have a ball winder YAY.. I use a nostepinne and before I got it I used a Turkey Baster.. worked great... and it saves my fingers from getting crushed... these are for center pull balls.. there are videos on how to do this... I'll take a look... I love to rewind my yarn for all the reasons above.. this is a good video to show you the basics using your fingers.
this is using a nostepinne
after watching this I realize I get mine started a bit differnt but the results are the same... mine is just more even in the begining.. I love the 'cake' it makes and its very easy to work with..

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Whether using a ball winder or a nostepinne, be sure to wind it with no tension. If you use tension and leave it like that for a while, it will stretch out, and when you knit with it, it will provide the right gauge, but over the next few days, it'll go back to it's original length, and whatever you knitted with it will be looser and tighter in spots, and probably all a tighter gauge than it was when you knitted it.

If you're winding a ball by hand, you can hold the ball with your fingers around it, and wind over your fingers. When you pull your fingers out and wind in a different direction, it will loosen the yarn and you'll have a soft, squishy ball of yarn that isn't stretched out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom