Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi KPers
I just wondered if anyone had used Wooly Nylon as a sew-in with your yarn when making bed socks. I was told it stops them going out of shape - just wondering!
Have a great day! :roll:

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
There was a post on here a short time ago about using Wooly Nylon to help reinforce the heels and toes of knitted socks so they will last longer. Haven't tried it yet, but will for my next pair of socks. Nice thing about it is that it comes in so many nice colors.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have used wooly nylon to reinforce heels in heavy work socks before...it worked well. I knit it in to the heel...these are socks worn by commercial fishermen..in heavy rubber boots.

In my fingering weight ladies socks...I weave it in after the sock is finished.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grandma Jo said:
There was a post on here a short time ago about using Wooly Nylon to help reinforce the heels and toes of knitted socks so they will last longer. Haven't tried it yet, but will for my next pair of socks. Nice thing about it is that it comes in so many nice colors.
Yes Grandma Jo I am interested to see the end result.
thank you!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Novasea said:
I have used wooly nylon to reinforce heels in heavy work socks before...it worked well. I knit it in to the heel...these are socks worn by commercial fishermen..in heavy rubber boots.

Hi Novasea I am in the middle of making a baby's rug for my new grandchild, but, tonight I am going to try the socks with the woolly nylon interweaved with the yarn - sounds like it will work

:wink:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hi Shockey

In my heavy work socks...where it doesn't matter if the wooly nylon shows along with the working yarn...I just knit the two strands at the same time. Fishermen never really care about making a fashion statement :) With my fancier socks..I weave the wooly nylon inside the heel after the sock is finished. That way it does not show on the "public" side of the sock. I do this because I usually don't have the same colour of wooly nylon as the sock. I buy it on spools..usually a spool of dark and a spool of light.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Novasea said:
Hi Shockey

In my heavy work socks...where it doesn't matter if the wooly nylon shows along with the working yarn...I just knit the two strands at the same time. Fishermen never really care about making a fashion statement :) With my fancier socks..I weave the wooly nylon inside the heel after the sock is finished. That way it does not show on the "public" side of the sock. I do this because I usually don't have the same colour of wooly nylon as the sock. I buy it on spools..usually a spool of dark and a spool of light.
Thank you Novasea for the tip. Yes that is good it does not show on the "public" side of the sock.
Have a lovely day!

:lol:

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I have wooly nylon thread to be used with the serger on a big spool. Will try it on socks and slippers, never thought of using it for that.
Learn something new every day.

Carol J.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have thought about knitting some wool socks for my DH whose feet are always cold. However, he really wears his socks badly in the toe area, so I had visions of them only lasting a short time or constantly repairing. I had not thought of reinforcing the toe area for him with wooly nylon. I have a lot of it for my serger so I have many colors on hand.

·
Registered
718 Posts
My first socks were knitted with a German yarn and each skein came with a very fine yarn to be added to toes and heels. When I could no longer get that yarn I started adding a strand of fine wool intended for fine crewel work. the color did not always match perfectly, but since toes and heels matched they looked good enough for every day wear and greatly reduced the darning of heels or toes. Ps as you can tell I knit for service and not so much for fashion. That was true until I started knitting lace! :lol:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Years ago one could buy 100% nylon fine yarn...used it to knit baby items. Then all of sudden it was no longer available. I was very lucky to inherit a stash from a dear friend some years ago...and there were at least 2 dozen skeins of this 100% nylon. Needless to say I used it very sparingly until it was all used up...thus the switch to wooly nylon.

For everyday ladies socks I still use Briggs and Little Durasport...the nylon in it..plus the sturdy wool..makes a very durable sock with no need to reinforce heels etc. I like it because it makes one heck of a tough sock..is inexpensive...and lots of times I really like a plain old everyday nothing fancy wool sock to wear in my boots.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
A long time ago my mom used to get nylon heel and toe sock yarn that she used in wool hunting socks that were worn in packs. It even said it on the label.
I have tried to find it and but never could. There is nylon in some of the sock yarns, but maybe not enough.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carol J. said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have wooly nylon thread to be used with the serger on a big spool. Will try it on socks and slippers, never thought of using it for that.
Learn something new every day.

Carol J.
Sounds good to me Carol J, I only make bed socks and they always seem to stretch - I will give it a go.
Have a great day!

:)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grandma Jo said:
A long time ago my mom used to get nylon heel and toe sock yarn that she used in wool hunting socks that were worn in packs. It even said it on the label.
I have tried to find it and but never could. There is nylon in some of the sock yarns, but maybe not enough.
Hi Grandma Jo, I read that it is good for socks that stretch (bed socks) so I just googled wooly nylon and bought it and it was delivered in 2 days so I will try it.
Take care!

:lol:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Novasea said:
Years ago one could buy 100% nylon fine yarn...used it to knit baby items. Then all of sudden it was no longer available. I was very lucky to inherit a stash from a dear friend some years ago...and there were at least 2 dozen skeins of this 100% nylon. Needless to say I used it very sparingly until it was all used up...thus the switch to wooly nylon.

For everyday ladies socks I still use Briggs and Little Durasport...the nylon in it..plus the sturdy wool..makes a very durable sock with no need to reinforce heels etc. I like it because it makes one heck of a tough sock..is inexpensive...and lots of times I really like a plain old everyday nothing fancy wool sock to wear in my boots.
Thank you Novasea for your response. I don't knit socks I knit cardigans, scarves etc etc and Bed Socks which are one size fits all and I knit them for lots of friends and family and they never tell me they stretch, but, when I wear them they do, so I was looking for something to add in with the yarn to keep them from doing that. I hope woolly nylon works! one day I will try normal socks.
Regards

:D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kcduffer said:
I have thought about knitting some wool socks for my DH whose feet are always cold. However, he really wears his socks badly in the toe area, so I had visions of them only lasting a short time or constantly repairing. I had not thought of reinforcing the toe area for him with wooly nylon. I have a lot of it for my serger so I have many colors on hand.
Hi kcduffer I am told it is very successful in reinforcing yarn.
Lovely day to you!
:)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Novasea said:

Hi Novasea, I want to knit it in with my yarn, hand knit not machine BUT I cannot get it to unwind off the spool onto my needle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom