Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to most of this and I am about to take a class to make my first sweater; a summer cardigan. It is a splurge for me to take the class so I'm looking to find good yarn without the high price to boot. What fiber content/blend would be best for a summer weight short sleeve cardigan. Help please. The pattern we will be using requires worsted weight so all I need is to figure out the best fiber content.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lily yarns has patterns for summer-wear sweaters/tops with their sugar 'n' cream yarn - 100% cotton worsted weight. I think bamboo, soy, and silk are also summer friendly.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
From my knit summer tops book (Annie's Attic) (cool comfort is a snap with these 8 stylish top)), they call for:

French Vanilla #98 Micro spun art #910 by Lion Brand or WW yarn

Peacock#19 Peaches & Creme WW or cotton worsted yarn
*** P & C isn't readily available but there's some on
Ebay, etc. Sugar and Cream, which is a little
thicker, perhaps, than P & C is now available at
Wal-Mart, etc.

Shocking pink #31 Peaches & Creme worsted yarn or cotton worsted

Denim#28 Country cotton cabled art #940 or cotton worsted

Sultan Red #95 Country cotton cabled art #940 or cotton worsted

White/Pearl #1P Pearl Lustersheen Art #95P or WOVEN SPORT YARN

Aunt Lydia's Denim Art. 151 or cotton worsted

In a flash, I'd consider using a 50-50% cotton/acrylic blend such as Baby Bee's; They come in lucious colors, too and are available in non-baby colors as well. Affordable price, too.

Hobby Lobby carries this brand in store and online. Their 40% off one regularly priced item, in-store coupon just arrived, too; It's good through the 19th.

They have a newsletter you can sign up for, also on their .com site.

Keep up posted on your project, please and good luck!!

Donna Rae
~~~~~~

settleg said:
I'm new to most of this and I am about to take a class to make my first sweater; a summer cardigan. It is a splurge for me to take the class so I'm looking to find good yarn without the high price to boot. What fiber content/blend would be best for a summer weight short sleeve cardigan. Help please. The pattern we will be using requires worsted weight so all I need is to figure out the best fiber content.

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will keep you posted. the class isn't until May (every Sat.) but they (the store) are wanting to order our yarns early. I like what they have but am hoping to find something a little less price but still nice. :)
Thank you so much for your tips.

Right now I'm taking a toe up class every Sat. month of March
(started 3/11). Wish me luck!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( Good luck!! @@

I just got a book on 2-at-a-time socks and will read through it tonight and report back later if you're interested. Am looking at it now......

'Revealed inside.....the SECRET..... LOL!!

Donna Rae
~~~~~~

settleg said:
I will keep you posted. the class isn't until May (every Sat.) but they (the store) are wanting to order our yarns early. I like what they have but am hoping to find something a little less price but still nice. :)

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
e.ridenh said:
(((((((( Good luck!! @@

I just got a book on 2-at-a-time socks and will read through it tonight and report back later if you're interested. Am looking at it now......

'Revealed inside.....the SECRET..... LOL!!

Donna Rae
~~~~~~
Is the book Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes? If so, I have that. Our instructor is only allowing us to do 1 sock at a time. I also have that book and was hoping that was what we would be doing; I've done 2-at-a time top down. Of course I'm not wild about the instructor of the course;we just don't seem to click but I'm sure she is very knowledgeable. I'm going to try to keep my mouth shut and come to the forum for support and extra guidance. lol

settleg said:

·
Registered
286 Posts
settleg said:
KnitPicks.com is known for good quality yarn at great prices. Here are 3 good choices for a summer sweater in worsted weight yarn:

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Shine_Worsted_Yarn__D5420140.html
http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Simply_Cotton_Worsted_Yarn__D5420199.html
http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Comfy_Worsted_Yarn__D5420171.html

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
[~~~~~~
Is the book Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes? If so, I have that.
((((((((( Yes, it is........))))))))))

Our instructor is only allowing us to do 1 sock at a time.
((((((( Probably a good idea, eh? LOL!!

I also have that book and was hoping that was what we would be doing; I've done 2-at-a time top down.
(((((( I'm happy that you have the book. I t looks like a good one. )))))

Of course I'm not wild about the instructor of the course;we just don't seem to click but I'm sure she is very knowledgeable. I'm going to try to keep my mouth shut and come to the forum for support and extra guidance. lol

(((((((( LOL! Okie. Yes, it takes all kinds one would think; Makes the world go around, eh (like they say in the UP)?! LOL!!

Donna Rae
~~~~~~~~~~~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom