Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got these off the loom, washed, and hand hemmed. The pattern is a Summer & Winter pattern done on my 8 harness loom. In this pattern, the pattern weft is a 5/2 Pearl (perle or mercerized) cotton and there is a tabby weft in 10/2. Each pattern weft is following by a tabby weft. For example, first throw might be harnesses 2,3,5 in blue followed by a tabby weft of harnesses 1,2 in red. The warp is 10/2 red. I didn't have 5/2 thread in blue and decided to use my double shuttle with 2 bobbins of 10/2. Could be why they ended up as towels rather than the placemats I wanted. There are two patterns, one is symmetrical and the other assymetrical. In total I made 5. There was enough warp on the loom to make six but I just got tired of making them. Two will be gifts, and the rest I am keeping.

Summer & Winter is a block weave and is designed to be reversible. It was my first time to do block weaves and I was happy to learn that. In normal weaving drafts, you will see a graph that shows what harnesses to place the warp on, it might be 4-1-2-3-4, etc. in block weaving you might see A-B-C-D-C. Each block represents a number of threads. For example block A might represent 1-3-2-3 and B might represent 4-3-2-1 and so on.

Sorry if this is too much detail. One of the colors may look purple to you but is a bright blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mama879 said:
Very pretty the weaving is wonderful and explain all you want it is a good thing so people can learn. Wish I had the room for a large loom. Thank you for sharing them. Do you sell your towels?
Thanks everyone who commented. I haven't sold my towels, usually make them for gifts. In retirement, I am reluctant to start a job. Lol. If you see production style weaving, they typically donot have intricate designs because they take too much time.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
So pretty! I look at weaving with admiration, I've tried a little on both a table top rigid heddle (very basic - Yarnbender's brand from the early 70s) and a even simpler frame loom. Not too impressed with my own results, but I love admiring what y'all do!

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reba1 said:
So pretty! I look at weaving with admiration, I've tried a little on both a table top rigid heddle (very basic - Yarnbender's brand from the early 70s) and a even simpler frame loom. Not too impressed with my own results, but I love admiring what y'all do!
Thank you Reba!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom