Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can find how many wraps around needle for different yarns, but what needle do I use? Wraps around a 10mm or a 3mm needle has to be different. Is there a standard needle like 5 or 6mm or????

·
Registered
20,200 Posts
You'll have to be more specific. You pick a pattern and yarn to go with that pattern and use the size needles mentioned in the pattern, or the size that fits the gauge swatch.

A swatch may not be necessary if you are making some things, like a scarf, blanket, shawl, etc. but if you are making a garment, you would want to make a 4in by 4in swatch to make sure the fabric knitted would meet the pattern requirements.

What are you wanting to make? The answer to your last questions is No, there is not a standard needle.

·
Premium Member
81,204 Posts
arlenecc said:
I can find how many wraps around needle for different yarns, but what needle do I use? Wraps around a 10mm or a 3mm needle has to be different. Is there a standard needle like 5 or 6mm or????
Wraps around needle? If it's for measuring how long a tail you need for the long-tail cast-on, you wrap around the size needle you'll be using to knit the project with.

Perhaps you're confusing it with Wraps Per Inch (WPI)? Wraps per inch is a means of judging the thickness of the yarn ... in US terms its 'weight' ... by wrapping the yarn loosely around a ruler. Usually you wrap for two inches and calculate the average to get the WPI. Google for more info.

The attached 'inventory' sheet has the most useful information in its headings.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jessica-Jean. I believe thats what I wanted to know.
I wanted to find out how thick my yarn is, none have bands and wanted to know what the yarn is to figure out what I could use it for. Have lots from my mom when she passed away, and need to figure out worsted from dk from bulky. Some seems to be close to each other but just enough difference to be a problem if I try to knit something that requires correct yarn. I'm aware of gauge but would like to sort the yarns into some sort of type.

·
Premium Member
81,204 Posts
In that case, you'll also be wanting to separate synthetics from natural yarns. This chart will be very useful: http://www.ditzyprints.com/dpburnchart.html

For blends ... you're pretty much up the creek. If it stinks like burning hair, even though it makes a plastic lump, you'll have to treat it as though it were 100% natural fibre.

Superwash is another problem. There is no way to know if it's superwash or not ... except by washing it. What I do, is knit up a good sized swatch - 12" square - on very large needles and throw it in with the laundry. If it shrinks, it becomes a hot-pad and I know it's not superwash. If it does NOT shrink, I know it's superwash, rip it out and add it to the rest of that lot.

Have fun! :)

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
In that case, you'll also be wanting to separate synthetics from natural yarns. This chart will be very useful: http://www.ditzyprints.com/dpburnchart.html

For blends ... you're pretty much up the creek. If it stinks like burning hair, even though it makes a plastic lump, you'll have to treat it as though it were 100% natural fibre.

Superwash is another problem. There is no way to know if it's superwash or not ... except by washing it. What I do, is knit up a good sized swatch - 12" square - on very large needles and throw it in with the laundry. If it shrinks, it becomes a hot-pad and I know it's not superwash. If it does NOT shrink, I know it's superwash, rip it out and add it to the rest of that lot.

Have fun! :)
Thank you so much. Love the chart. I know Mom ordered from Mary Maxim a lot, and one full thick yarn skein I used to make slippers for my brother for Xmas, and it had a lot of knots in it. I remember a member mentioning knots with that wool, and this skein sure had them. Glad I had tips for joining yarn on this site.
I have to say, she sure liked purple wool, although I don't recall anything she wore with that colour. Maybe thats why there is so much! You sure are a knitting guru- bet you could sell your bookmarks!

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
Perhaps you're confusing it with Wraps Per Inch (WPI)? Wraps per inch is a means of judging the thickness of the yarn ... in US terms its 'weight' ... by wrapping the yarn loosely around a ruler. Usually you wrap for two inches and calculate the average to get the WPI. Google for more info.

That is exactly what I need. You are an angel. I think this chart and the burn tests will set me up. I doubt any of the yarn is super-wash given the the time she would have bought it. After 1995 her arthritis was very painful and she did very little knitting.
Jessica-Jean-you are such an asset to the rest of us. Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
this was absolutely great info. thank you. now, anybody know where I can find a chart for the wraps? that is one thing I have a very hard time with... figuring out the weight of the yarn, since not all yarn tells on the label what it is, and I can't always go to the friendly and helpful lady at the LYS.

·
Premium Member
81,204 Posts
arlenecc said:
I doubt any of the yarn is super-wash given the the time she would have bought it. After 1995 her arthritis was very painful and she did very little knitting.
Jessica-Jean-you are such an asset to the rest of us. Thanks.
Superwash is not exactly a new product. Some of it may well be in her stash.

You may be right about the purple. The yarn colours I love most are those least found in my stash. My least favourite colours - black and white - abound!;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
arlenecc said:
Wraps around needle? If it's for measuring how long a tail you need for the long-tail cast-on, you wrap around the size needle you'll be using to knit the project with.

If you are wrapping yarn around a needle you could be talking about having dropped stitches. I have made scarves casting on 24 stitches with worsted weight yarn (number 4) and a large needle. I have sizes 10 to 15. You knit 5 rows and on the sixth row you wrap the yarn around the needle twice. On the following row you knit and let one of the wraps 'unwrap' which gives you a long stitch. Then continue in this manner until you have the length of scarf needed. I usually apply fringe. Linda

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
weteach4ulinda said:
If you are wrapping yarn around a needle you could be talking about having dropped stitches. I have made scarves casting on 24 stitches with worsted weight yarn (number 4) and a large needle. I have sizes 10 to 15. You knit 5 rows and on the sixth row you wrap the yarn around the needle twice. On the following row you knit and let one of the wraps 'unwrap' which gives you a long stitch. Then continue in this manner until you have the length of scarf needed. I usually apply fringe. Linda
Jessica-jean had it correct. I was asking the wrong question for the info I wanted, but she figured out what I was actually wanting. She is brilliant!
This is convoluted but it will make people think to figure out what I just said. Lol!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom