Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrist and Forearm Extensor/Flexor Table Stretches

Extensor Stretch: Sitting back from your desk, straighten your arms and hold your hands flat. Place the back of your hands along the edge of the table. Bending only at the wrist, with fingers pointing at the floor, press gently into the table edge.

Flexor Stretch: Sitting back from your desk or table, straighten your arms and hold your hands flat. Place your fingers along the edge of the table, bending only at the wrist, with fingers pointing at the ceiling. Press gently into the table edge.

Hands Tendon Glide

Start with your wrists in a neutral position.

STEP 1: Extend your fingers apart and toward the back of your hand.
STEP 2: Relax the extension and curl the top segment of your fingers to the base of your fingers.
STEP 3: Repeat Step 1.
STEP 4: Relax the extension and fold your fingers to the base of your palm.
STEP 5: Repeat Step 1.
STEP 6: Make tight fists.
STEP 7: Repeat Step 1.

Attachments

· Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been having a lot of pain in my right pointer knuckle and wrist as well as swelling in and between the joints. Part of it is from using the mouse on my computer...all that point and click, but the wrist and rest of it is from trying to knit using stiff yarn and too small a needle. I finally went up 2 needle sizes and down 3 pattern sizes and wow what a difference! I'm doing these exercises regularly now and it really helps.

· Premium Member
8,127 Posts
These are good exercises for both knitters and medical transciptionists! Of course, anyone who types a lot or has a lot of repetitive motion could benefit! Thank you!

· Registered
1,158 Posts
I have lymphedema in my left lower arm, and some sort of nerve problem in that hand as well, that causes numbness and tingling in the thumb and first finger (carpal tunnel?) No pain, thank goodness, so I carry on knitting and all the other activities. Only thing is (and it's very strange and frustrating) when I wash my hair it feels as if I had a glove or mitten on my left hand, and also have to pick up small objects between thumb and third finger! Weird!

· Registered
3,956 Posts
Ask your doctor to send you to a physical therapist.....if you are near a teaching hospital or a major medical center that would be the place to be referred to...if your doctor refuses to help you in this way get another doctor.....also, as others have said, the use of pillows to support your arm is essential....but you must find out what is causing your problem before you can fix it...julie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom