Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had wrist tendonitis and found a way to knit anyway? It's in my right wrist and thumb (and I'm right handed). My husband has ordered me to not knit until it is healed. Of course I am trying to rest it, using my left hand to move the mouse on the computer, brush my hair, etc. I am BORED to tears and living through all the wonderful pictures you ladies are posting. How long will it last?

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Have you seen a doctor? It sounds more like carpel tunnel because it is affecting your thumb , which is a common condition with anyone who does repeditive actions. Try a wrist brace, the kind that covers the wrist and all the way up to your thumb. Most doctors will suggest this first before considering a surgery. You still can crochet or knit with the brace. It will prevent most of the strain on your wrist.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Go and see your doctor and see if anything can be done. Otherwise, if you don't like not doing something, then just cut down the length of time you spend knitting. If you knit for an hour without a break, then try having a break after 20 minutes. It's what I have to do. When I'm digitising an embroidery pattern on the computer, I have to make myself have a break because using the mouse causes problems.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
You poor lady---not being able to knit!!!!!!! It must be slowly be driving you around the bend

I do not knit anywhere as near as much as a lot of you seem to, but I like having something to do with my hands at night, I have rotator cuff problems in my Left shoulder and apparently knitting is particulary bad as the movement in the shoulder is minute and very controlled while using the needles, two medical men (one osteopath and my gp) have both said to not knit during a flare up
it is driving me nuts----- and I do not knit with such dedication as most of you.
you have my sympathy

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
:-( I feel for you-I am experiencing the same thing. I had carpal tunnel surgery many,many years ago and now it decides to flair up just as I was excited about doing the 365 p/calendar. Bombers!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Linda6885 said:
Have you seen a doctor? It sounds more like carpel tunnel because it is affecting your thumb , which is a common condition with anyone who does repeditive actions. Try a wrist brace, the kind that covers the wrist and all the way up to your thumb. Most doctors will suggest this first before considering a surgery. You still can crochet or knit with the brace. It will prevent most of the strain on your wrist.
What sort of brace? I have one that keeps my wrist immoble but my thumb is still free. I think I need one that traps my thumb too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dalex1945 said:
I use a wrist brace to immobilize the wrist, worn 24/7. I'm still able to knit and crochet. Some Biofreeze or Aspercreme helps. It usually takes a week or two for the tendonitis to go away.
I never thought about Aspercreme or something like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Daphnee08 said:
Linda6885 said:
What sort of brace? I have one that keeps my wrist immoble but my thumb is still free. I think I need one that traps my thumb too.
I bought the sort you need from a chemists.It has a thumb brace as well and a velcro strap to wrap around to keep it still.I suffer badly with this problem ,it wakes me in the night every night .And that is when in bed asleep .I am still knitting but thos loops on the scarves.It is giving me great satisfaction and will keep on doing so

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sometimes taking an anti-inflamatory helps me. I have had 2 cubital tunnel surgeries (The same as carpal tunnel except in the elbow) and there isn't much more they can do because scar tissues forms. Sometimes I have to rest my arm for a week or so. (Horrors!) Once in awhile I take an, aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen and it eases the swelling that pinches the nerve. It can help for tendonitis, too. I only use it occasionally and only with food so it doesn't cause stomach irritation. Of course, if you have any medical issues, you should definitely check with your doctor first.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Daphnee08 said:
Has anyone had wrist tendonitis and found a way to knit anyway? It's in my right wrist and thumb (and I'm right handed). My husband has ordered me to not knit until it is healed. Of course I am trying to rest it, using my left hand to move the mouse on the computer, brush my hair, etc. I am BORED to tears and living through all the wonderful pictures you ladies are posting. How long will it last?
hi daphnee - i had it bad a couple of years ago from knitting - my doctor doesn't like prescribing pills if she can help it - prescribed Voltaren gel - put it on 3 or 4 times a day - it's for inflammation - works wonders -
i bought an elastic wrist band at Walgreen's - wraps around with velcro - always wore it at night since my hand would hang in bad ways and when i woke up i had much pain - the wrist band held it all together thru the night!
good luck!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have that but I am over it now. I agree that youmust put a brce on it, I was told only at night, it did not take very long I am fine now and gert some pain on and off with it,

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
IF ITS JUST TENONITIS take and anti inflamlotoy like aleve, or motrin over the counter, if you put some rub and take inflam drug and it don't get better fast see your dr

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi Daphnee,
You just got a lot of great advice here from all these ladies & I think you should listen to it all...
While knitting a sweater for my husband last year I was in so much pain that I had to take off 5 or more days in a row from it. I finally saw my doctor for it & "joikingly" or not, I told him it was a "knitting injury". We laughed but it wasn't so far fetched.
It turned out to be both arthritis and tendonitis!! Wrists, hands & fingers... He put me on Daypro, an NSAID, which I also sometimes take for my fibromyalgia and my bad rotator cuff in my left shoulder. Also told me to use ice for 10 minutes & then soak it in hot water.
I also used those menthol pads under my knitting support gloves while I was knitting to keep things warm inside and even now I wear wrist warmers while knitting to help prevent it.
Yesterday I rubbed Mineral Ice on my right hand & wrist, which was sad since that "was" my good hand!
When it's really bad I do all of this plus I wear the wrist brace to keep it immobile. That's really the best thing for it until it heals.
Crochet is much easier on me than knitting but I do switch off now & then. I'm in my knitting mode right now. But you can crochet and knit with the brace on. Slower maybe, put you can do it. It keeps you from moving the wrist.
I "know how" to continental knit but I haven't practiced it enough to be comfortable with it yet. Just like when you first learn to knit...it takes practice in holding your yarn & fingers right, etc...
The computer mouse is really my worst enemy for my right hand & wrist. But I won't stop that either...Aren't we a stubborn bunch? LOL!

SOOO, listen to all the advice these ladies gave you & try the ice & then hot water soaks. Keep your hands & wrists as warm as you can 'while' knitting. (Maybe your kitty can help you there!) Get a "firm" brace to wear. If all this fails then you have no choice but to see your doctor...but I think you will see results in a few days.
You should lay off the knitting until you try all this first. Even Aspirin is an anti-inflammatory. Just don't over-do it. And I swear by those menthol pads!!
I hope you will be feeling better in no time!!! Please keep us posted on your progress & what you did to improve.
Edna

·
Registered
742 Posts
That looks like a great brace, I will have to shop around for it. Is anyone out there troubled with 'trigger thumb'? I've had steroid injections into the joints, don't know if there is any more that can be done for it. I've had carpal and cubital tunnel surgeries on both arms, and now it's the thumbs that bother me. I also have arthritis (osteo) so that doesn't help any. I don't crochet much anymore because of all of that, at least I can still knit an hour or two a day.
AnnB

·
Registered
430 Posts
moonsib said:
That looks like a great brace, I will have to shop around for it. Is anyone out there troubled with 'trigger thumb'? I've had steroid injections into the joints, don't know if there is any more that can be done for it. I've had carpal and cubital tunnel surgeries on both arms, and now it's the thumbs that bother me. I also have arthritis (osteo) so that doesn't help any. I don't crochet much anymore because of all of that, at least I can still knit an hour or two a day.
AnnB
I think you're on the right track with that brace. I looked at the picture of it & it does look like a good one. I have the firm braces but there is no thumb support with them. I'm thinking of getting this one with it.
I'm surprised that you can knit easier than crochet though. It's just the opposite for me.
I've never heard of trigger thumb but I'm sure it's painful too. What does you doctor say about that???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom