Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we've talked about the Xmas cactus before but I just received my yellow flower one that I got from Amazon. It's beautiful! I have a question for all. I have a Xmas cactus that has red leaves. All my others have green- which to me is the usual. Any idea why the leaves turn red? By the way, seems very healthy and is blooming red flowers.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Oh I love them .
I have one thats 20 yrs old now, and is barky thick, very bush like.
blooms every year. I have a peice in water (hubby broke--grrrrrrrrrrrr) but its blooming right now. So I'll wait to plant it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
That is one plant I have luck with. But the only place I can keep them alive is in my kitchen windows, so I have an entire row of Christmas Cactus and African Violets. The Violets are really old and are starting to die for no apparent reason. But my cactus are blooming nicely.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
mine sits in my livingrm later afternoon sun they seem to like to sleep in.Dark mornings and sunny afternoons.
hahha gee kinda like me . altho I'm up between 4-6 every morning.
But if I could I sure would.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
afoster said:
That is one plant I have luck with. But the only place I can keep them alive is in my kitchen windows, so I have an entire row of Christmas Cactus and African Violets. The Violets are really old and are starting to die for no apparent reason. But my cactus are blooming nicely.
You can start new violets by putting a leave stem in water and in a few weeks roots will grow. Plant in and in time, you will have a new plant.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I don't have a green thumb. Cactus is about the only thing I can grow. You really have to be trying hard to kill a cactus. Plus, I have two feline "helpers" in the house. They ate my plant down to the roots. My Easter lily wasn't in the house more than 30 seconds before they started mauling it. Naughty kitties!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
red leaves? well, I have red leaves off and on, seems to be too much light in my book, and if or when I move to darker cooler place, that stops, and also new leaves tend to be reddish for me. How pricey was the yellow flowered cactus? Been looking for a time, and would appreciate some info on how you found it? Also for killing cactus, guess my daughter can take the cake there, she can kill anything that is green, has no interest much in plants, tho loves to look at them, and appreciates them a great deal. Oh, well, might be skipping a generation?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have three of them. Two are in full bloom right now. One has red flowers, one has pink flowers and the one that's about to bloom will have white flowers, I think. They are in a south facing window. I water them about once a week.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The red leaves mean that the plant has probably been shocked into blooming by not watering it and giving it darkness then about as much light as it can stand. When Xmas cactus has red leaves it's gotten too much sun or bright light. They do this in the greenhouses to force blooms. So, next year around October slow up on the watering and give it less light if you can, but the sun going down earlier should be enough. Let the plant dry out and droop a little, it should start to produce little tiny buds, then water it as normal with miracle grow plant food and you might have blooms for 4-5 months, mine bloomed almost half a year last year, it was amazing.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Reddish green on the plant also indicates new growth. "Christmas cactus" actually just a name it is commonly known by, it is not technically a cactus but a succulent.

Barbaradey said:
I know we've talked about the Xmas cactus before but I just received my yellow flower one that I got from Amazon. It's beautiful! I have a question for all. I have a Xmas cactus that has red leaves. All my others have green- which to me is the usual. Any idea why the leaves turn red? By the way, seems very healthy and is blooming red flowers.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
LilgirlCA said:
afoster said:
You can start new violets by putting a leave stem in water and in a few weeks roots will grow. Plant in and in time, you will have a new plant.
Never could get them to grow in water, did have a little success just poking the end of the leaf into soil. They all need replanting right now, just haven't taken the time to do that. Too much knitting going on.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Barbaradey said:
Thanks
Red leaves= too much light. They are VERY light sensitive and don't like the sun. Also, pitch darkness for 12 -16 hours in cool temps for about a week should almost guarantee flowering. They also like to be in a shallow aerated pot filled with peat. And, lastly, don't use regular plant fertilizer. Use a more acidic one, or use a very, very diluted Miracid.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i have several of these plants, but one is especially precious to me. it was given to me by a coworker of mine before i got married (almost 42 yrs ago) from a piece of hers that was 25 years old! once it got like a fungal disease and nearly died, but i took several slips and was able to regrow them. i think it is not a true christmas cactus, though, as the first time it ever bloomed in ny was on the day of my dd's baptism! here in houston, my cacti live outside in natural light, and i have at least 3 in bloom now! love them!!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Must be the year for great blooms! I bought a cactus last year at Christmas time and it is just covered with bright pink quite large blossoms-the best one I have ever had. They are my favorite!
I, too, have another that I almost killed by over spraying for spider mites. But it has bounced back and has orangy-red blooms. I think it took about three years to recover from my harshness and bloom again but it is remarkable, too.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Mine bloom at both eqinoxes....if you can make eqinox plural. They are probably 10 yers old. i water lightly every 5 days and as blooming season approaches, use a diluted Miracle Gro solution. Its about the only succulent I have any luck with. I think my house is just too cool at night...54 degrees. Joan 8060

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I love Christmas Cacti probably because I get positive reinforcement by their blooming so well. BUT I have a problem. I keep buying a new plant when I see one that is lavender and then after a while when the plant re-blooms the blooms are pink. I have a feeling it is a nutritional thing but does anyone know what the plant would need to give it back lavender blooms?
thank you!
marilyn [who has more than enough pink cacti, (((ggg]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom