Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone buying wool or 100% cotton from Yarn Paradise? I buy all my Flamenco from them. The price is good evening with shipping costs, and the delivery time is exceptional. What else can/should I be buying. Thanks,

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
I've purchased many of their yarns including 100% cotton; 100% Bamboo; Merino/mix; 100% Silk and others. I've not been disapppointed yet, and I have been purchasing from them for a year now. Leonora.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I will not purchase yarns from Turkey, it's a personal choice. Turkey has a very bad reputation with child labor and forced labor (slave labor) particularly in their textile and cotton industries.

There are certain US companies that have their yarns manufactured in Turkey because they can have it made for pennies, which gives them a much larger profit margin.

I feel that if I purchase these yarns (once again this is just my opinion) I am aiding and abetting child/forced labor and contributing to corporate greed.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

·
Registered
13,818 Posts
Courier, where do you get your information? My daughter and her husband recently spent over a month hiking in Turkey and fell in love with the country and people. They were met with kindness everywhere they went. I especially loved their stories of hiking through herds of sheep and goats and their attendant huge Anatolian herd dogs. I'm certainly not going to boycott Turkish yarns!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Just look into Child labor in Turkey, there is a wealth of information about it on the web. Of course it's kept from the prying eyes of tourists.

It isn't the Turkish people, it's the greedy companies at fault, many of which are US companies who contract with Turkish mills and the Turkish cotton industry.

Just look into child labor, you'll be appalled at what goes on in some countries. As long as "demand" is up, these practices will continue. I find it interesting that people get up in arms about animal abuse..but child labor, well as long as the goods are cheap and it's happening "somewhere else" it's OK.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My son had the experience of, sort of, an opposite problem. He was in Turkey for three weeks with the Air Force and had the occasion to buy a Persian rug. the dealer was from an Iraqi family whose whole village made rugs and he smuggled them out to sell. It was how the village stayed fed. Illegal on the Iraqi side and perfectly legal on the Turkish side.

The way they sold the rugs, you went to the shop every night for coffee, until one of the rugs, well you just couldn't live without it, and over the days, the story came out, so I feel pretty comfortable that it was not just a "line".

I respect your stand. For a similar reason, I do not buy Citgo gasoline. Just couldn't go with putting money in the pocket of a man who comes to our country and makes fun of and calls our president the devil. If you go online, you will immediately see that Citgo is a"wholly owned subsidiary" of the Venezuelan government. So I just can't do it.

·
Registered
48,298 Posts
My personal opinion: I am careful not to judge others by standards not available in their country. Perhaps a boost in the economy may do more for labor standards. I do purchase yarn from Yarn Paradise.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Sadly a "boost" in the economy rarely remedies these situations. Small children are still working in Soccer ball factories despite the bad press from 20 years ago.

I'll pick my battles, supporting child/forced labor isn't something I'm willing to do.

We all have decisions to make, I try to make ones that allow me to sleep well at night.

·
Registered
14,208 Posts
I just made a purchase from them and yes the yarn has always been really nice ...amazing prices especially yesterday with their "yard sale"..but shipping is way OURTAGEOUS...
I was not aware of their child labor..and I am totally against it...however, I find it like a 2 edged sword..those children might literally starve to death or be put in the streets to fin for themselves otherwise..sometimes it helps feed entire towns..Really sad but so true.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Not everyone makes the majority of their purchases with goods made from China (which also uses child labor by the way). I'm very selective about what I purchase.

Saying t hat children are better off working in factories, mills and brick yards so they don't starve is really a reach, wouldn't you say?

I'll never be convinced to support child or forced labor. My money, my choice on how I spend it.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
The majority of child labor in Turkey is in industrial areas...read up on it sometime. Again this is not the fault of the Turkish people by any means. The government allows it and greedy companies profit by it.

Child welfare organizations have been struggling to bring not only attention to this issue but help put a stop to it. The best hope for severely impoverished children is education, not working.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Red Heart and Lion Brand both have yarns made in the USA. Check out their web site to see which ones. They're easy to find in Michaels or Walmart.

Red Heart super saver is made in the USA, which is great for charity work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im sure if you read up on any country and look deeply enough there are horrible things going on which we could boycott.
I love yarn paradise, I've been knitting all my life and I've never come across such a range and variety of yarns. I just cant stop ordering from them as my creative side runs wild when I see all the choices

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I'm not saying anyone should boycott anything...this is a choice I can make.

Sometimes there are things more important than low prices. I can find great yarns from "fair trade" countries and those produced here in the US to support.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom