Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Why would anyone want to spend time, money, and energy yarn-bombing anything when there are so many more things to do with your time, money, and energy? What goes on the fire hydrants of the world has to come off eventually but no one seems to consider the work involved with that, not to mention the unsightliness of it all when Mother Nature gets to it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I can't read the words. What is in the kit besides the yarn and needles? If that is all, that brand of yarn plus various brands of needles go on sale quite often at Michael's, Joann's, etc. and/or have coupons. (They are in the US). If you need instructions on yarn bombing, I just googled it and found a lot of information.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Four skeins of yarn, knitting needles, and what is in the little green package? I checked on ebay and it is interesting that the one marked "crochet" has knitting needles in it (the green package has point protectors/stitch holders), a tape measure, and a thread cutter on a carabiner. I think you could assemble your own for less and in colors you like. Not too much detail in the "how to" and very basic getting started knitting directions.

Try checking around locally for a knit/crochet group if you want to learn to knit or crochet and then check on Pinterest, Facebook, or similar places for ideas.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
yourmother306 said:
found this on ebay, but was a little expensive

anybody know where to buy it cheaper
This is Yarn Bombing! I love the bicycle and the Bull!!!! I have never done it but I got on and put in Yarn Bomb and you should see the stuff that people have done in different places of the world...

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
As has already been said - you can piece this together far cheaper, you can get "how to" directions online for free.

There's a famous lion statue in a park in my hometown, I once yarn-bombed an oversized cat toy at it's feet (for a photo only) and then delivered a box full of normal sized cat toys to one of the local animal rescues. A local group was knitting sweaters for the human statues around the city but I just couldn't get on board with that one personally - the sweaters lasted a total of 4 days before they were tossed in the garbage by a city crew, not even donated to a charity where they could have been put to good use.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
IMHO "Yarn Bombing" is a waste of time and other resources that would be better used elsewhere.
There will be too many people cold this winter for me to waste yarn/time/effort on "dressing up" some inanimate object only to have the stuff tossed in the garbage later. :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
One of our tourist "talking trams" here in Central Victoria, Australia, has been yarn bombed and it looks great. It has crochet bunting along the side and a granny afghan on the front with the number of the tram as detail.
The trams "talking trams" travel through the city and the recording tells you what the sights are along the way. It starts at the Central Deborah gold mine which is open to tourists and ends at the Chinese Josh (not sure of the spelling) House.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Dsynr said:
IMHO "Yarn Bombing" is a waste of time and other resources that would be better used elsewhere.
There will be too many people cold this winter for me to waste yarn/time/effort on "dressing up" some inanimate object only to have the stuff tossed in the garbage later. :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25: :sm25:
In the town were I live, there is a yarn bombing effort to cover a fence around an ice-arena. People are encouraged to make an afghan that will be used to cover part of the fence then all the afghans are donated to a homeless shelter. I think that is a good idea!

·
Registered
635 Posts
If someone wants to yarn bomb I have no problem with them doing it and get a kick out of the creations. I wouldn't do it but I'm lazy! I've seen plenty of yarn bombing in my state and don't think our city nor towns have a problem with it and the people who do it have so much fun. So, enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Somewhere in Europe (can't remember which little town we were in) I was looking for a yarn shop without success until my husband spotted a bicycle that fits the description of being yarn bombed and, behold, there was the yarn shop. So in that case it served a good ourpose.

·
Registered
16,401 Posts
In my 20's I would have considered yarn bombing fun and "cool". In my 60's, all I can see is cold people doing without. If that is how people choose to express themselves that is their choice and their right, have fun at it. I am at an age where I have more of my life behind me than in front of me. That tends to make people introspective and when it comes to to my legacy I'd rather be remembered for knitting hundreds of hats for those without, than be remembered for covering a bus in yarn that shortly there after ended up in a landfill. Now making afghans to "yarn bomb" then donating them to those in need is a yarn bombing project I could get behind.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I just returned from Ireland and the trees along the entrance to Blarney Castle have been yarn bombed. It looked great and had people wondering about it and in awe of it. I think people took more pictures of it than of the castle!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom