Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked those up, I'd never heard of them, they sure look handy, I put my ball of yarn, beside a throw cushion, to hold it in place, the bowl's are so pretty.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
They are wonderful and I have a beautiful wood one and a very pretty ceramic one. For a very simple and portable device, I buy an inexpensive plastic drink pitcher with a pour spout so that I can put the yarn inside, bring the working end through the spout and keep yarn clean and away from cat. If I want to take project with me, I can take top off and put project inside as well or just drop them both in a bag....

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's good advice, and it is the cat, I need one for.
I have a plastic thing, I bought year's ago, it has a bottom and a top the top screw's on , with a hole in the top for the yarn to come out, but it's little, I don't know where the ball's came from, but they had to have been awfully small.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I use coffee containers, those big plastic ones. Current UFO's have their own 'bucket' room enough for printed pattern and extra needles. They go into my carry bag easily.

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
I got my yarn bowl from Larsan made by Larry Slinger..it is such a beautiful work of art that when I take it anywhere with me, I get wonderful comments. It makes my knitting even more delightful. I took it to the Quilt guild Thurs evening. Since my sister teaches, and I don't like quilting, she humors me with letting me knit. All the ladies were enthralled with my knitting bowl. I think a pretty knitting bowl makes knitting even more delightful.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I love the yarn bowls. I got them after I read a comment on the site before Christmas. One was for a late gift and it was loved and is treaured. I also have a variety of "bottles and coffee can" holders that travel better than the cermic bowl. I would hate for it to get broken. :)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I want one of those beautiful yarn bowls, but doubt that it will be in my budget for some time. I keep hinting around to my brother-in-law (who does woodworking) but we all know that men either can't or don't take hints.

Right now I'm using a plastic jug - - similar to a bleach jug. Cut it off about 2 inches from the bottom, then cut a couple of vertical slits, one on either side, of the bottom part. Put the yarn in there, pull it up through the top, and put the top part of the jug back down into the bottom part. It isn't pretty but it works. In the past, I have done a similar thing with a 2-liter soft drink bottle. That shape works better for the long skeins of yarn (size of the Red Heart) instead of the rounder skeins.

·
Registered
76,970 Posts
My MIL uses 2 liter pop bottles. she cuts off the bottom of the bottle, puts the yarn in and pulls it out of the top. Very inexpensive and according to her it works great!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
LOL ... I can't believe I saw this thread today. I just bought a yarn bowl today!

I have a dog I should have named "Blizzard" instead of Belle as she is a walking snowstorm and I am too busy knitting to vacuum three times a day :wink:

So I went searching for a yarn bowl to keep my yarn off the floor. When I found this one I was so excited because I love spending my vacations on an island at the beach and this bowl reminded me of the beach. And it was only $24 which was far better than the $40 and $65 ones I had been looking at.

Can't wait to get it :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Great idea Billb1946. Saw your picture ...had a" light bulb" moment... That is something I can do myself .So obvious...... why didn`t I think of it.
Leslee :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom