Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at yarn charts USA To UK,I am so confused one says Worsted is DK 8ply, another ones says it arran,When I started the Newfie Mitts I thought from the needle size 4mm it must be uk DK,but they are quite small, Because of the pattern didnt do a tension square,Should I have use UK Arran

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Going by the size needle you used, the UK DK is right. Some mittens are small, but you could do another pair in Aran if you want, but that type of yarn is not always so soft for babies, unless it states it is for them, go by the feel.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Mary, try this chart. It is more US oriented, but it is very clear about UK terms.

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

The problem with some of the charts is they are some designer's opinion. No thank you. I want a chart from someone who knows what they're talking about.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Yarn Happy said:
http://sarastexturecrafts.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/international-yarn-weight-conversion-chart/
here is one
Hi Sarah, I have this link too! Using the Wikipedia link it's from - they base it on WPIs - Wraps Per Inch - so this is how they figure it:

Standard Yarn Yarn Type (US) Ply (UK, m/100g Wraps Per Inch (WPI)
Weight System NZ, AU)
0 or Lace/Thread Cobweb and Lace 1 - 3 ply 600-800 18+ wpi
1 or Superfine Fingering 4 ply 400-480 14 wpi
2 or Fine Sport 5 ply 300-400 12 wpi
3 or Light DK 8 ply 11 wpi
4 or Med Worsted 10 ply 200-240 9 wpi
5 or Bulky Bulky 12 ply 100-120 7 wpi
6 or Super Bulky Super Bulky Less than 100 5-6 wpi

From this method - any of us can figure out what weight yarn we're holding, by lightly wrapping the yarn around around any ruler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom