Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this advert,wanted to share and see what you all thought.
I wonder how well it really works.Interesting tool if it does what it s supposed to do.
I have never seen one of these. :-D :-D

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
a lot of money for a jar and a lid with a hole in it.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
Empty coffe cans, butter tubs that have been washed well. Anything big enough with a lid would work!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I bought one of just the jar and lid part at JoAnn's with a coupon so did not cost me much. It does not DEtangle; it prevents tangles if you use it from the start of your project (that is the only time you can get a strand of yarn through the hole in the lid, of course). It also has a handle which makes it handy to carry from place to place as I move around the house. I'm trying to design a handle to knit or macrame or something to use on the other, makeshift ones.

You are all absolutely right. I also took a couple of candy jars, drilled holes in the lids and am using them for the same purpose. The only advantage to the one that I bought is that I can get a larger ball/skein of yarn into it. The candy jars, coffee cans, etc. are all smaller and work fine for small units of yarn. And they are a little unhandy to pick up without a handle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks pretty much like a regular ball winder to me; I can't see how it would help detangle yarn...but perhaps I'm being especially dim today.

PS. I share your frustration. I have several projects unfinished because I allowed the yarn to become tangled for one reason and another. I expect I will eventually get up the energy to detangle and continue knitting.

Best wishes to you.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Peggy Beryl said:
You are all absolutely right. I also took a couple of candy jars, drilled holes in the lids and am using them for the same purpose. The only advantage to the one that I bought is that I can get a larger ball/skein of yarn into it. The candy jars, coffee cans, etc. are all smaller and work fine for small units of yarn. And they are a little unhandy to pick up without a handle.
You can get very, very large plastic jars filled with cheese puffs or pretzels. Throw out the snacks (if you want to) and you have still spent very little money. As for the handle, once in a while I pick up a gallon of water that comes in a squarish container with a nylon strap that is glued to opposing sides. It amazes me that this little strap can hold this heavy bottle of water. You could easily do this to your jars which won't be nearly as heavy as water!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
you can buy this jars at Michaels and joann's really cheap most of the time. I have one and if you are just knitting at home it is great to keep the yarn clean but that is about it. I prefer the bags that have the hole in the end as they are easier to take places when I knit.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I would not buy or own one of these, but I think the detangling part is the part under the jar. I have a feeling that it works rather like a lazy susan to turn the jar around. Probably wrong about that, but that is how it appears to me.

Lynne

·
Registered
15,107 Posts
I believe this comes up at least once a year. So as I would tell anyone with kind of common sense go buy it then put a report here on how well it doesn't work or does. Me I won't waist my money on it. And I feel like we be spamed again.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
cathy47 said:
Lolly12 said:
Exactly,I think one could probably make this out of something in the recycling bin haha :-D :-D
try an oatmeal box...or how about this a yarn winder and wind all yarn into balls. NO issue with tangles.
Exactly. It looks just like the jar or jug I have in pantry to store rice in. You could probably pick something like that up at the dollar store if you don't have something you could recycle. As far as moving it from place to place without a handle, it's not that heavy with yarn in. If you felt you needed a handle then punch a couple of holes in the sides, and run a rope, string or i-cord through and there ya go. My MIL use to use the small square kleenix boxes for the same thing. As far as tangles are concerned that's what DH is for! :lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom