Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
21,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away for a week visiting Himself's family in Tehran. On our last day my lovely sister in law took me to the yarn district in the centre of Tehran to "top up" my stash. I thought you would be interested to see some photos of some of the yarn shops. There are approximately 30 shops in a row, stuffed from floor to ceil with yarn of every type you could think of.

Personally I find it very hard to chose or remember just what I want when faced with such a wonderful selections, so I have to buy a lot just to make sure I cover all bases :sm17:

Attachments

·
Registered
21,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damama said:
Wow! That is a huge selection! Are they all like that? Oh my goodness!
Yes they are all like that! It's so hard to make a decision so I just buy lots lol! The price of yarn there is about a quarter to the UK prices. Mostly it's Turkish yarn.

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
Double Wow! Thank you so much, Pat for sharing your beautiful pictures, wonderful places to shop! :sm24: :sm24:

·
Registered
21,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sjlegrandma said:
How amazing is that. Like you I wouldn't know where to start. Are the locals into yarn crafts or are these tourist shops?
Do you know I've never seen anyone knitting or crocheting but the district is always very busy so who knows. Also Iran isn't a hotspot for tourism yet, mainly because of the hijab and the heat lol!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Amazing! I wouldn't be able help myself. My credit card would be maxed out. Has anyone been to the wool shop in Malvern Road Malvern Melbourne ( Australia). It had wall to ceiling yarns. My daughter took me there & after I bought 1 particular lot of yarn she asked me was there anything else I wanted to buy. I had only just retired & I said "get me out of here before I spend all my super day 1".

·
Registered
21,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
vershi said:
Wow, that looks like heaven did you go over weight at the airport coming home with it all.
lol! no, ran out of suitcase space so Himself left his clothes at his mother's house to be washed and ironed by his sister bless her. We were first class and there didn't seem to be a luggage limit for some reason. Should have taken another suitcase, will next time!

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
Gypsycream said:
Do you know I've never seen anyone knitting or crocheting but the district is always very busy so who knows. Also Iran isn't a hotspot for tourism yet, mainly because of the hijab and the heat lol!
Is there a dress code for men,I remember being in Cardiff city centre,years ago,the lady was in a Hijab,and her husbands jeans were so so tight,Seemed to be 2 rules,

·
Registered
21,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mary Cardiff said:
Is there a dress code for men,I remember being in Cardiff city centre,years ago,the lady was in a Hijab,and her husbands jeans were so so tight,Seemed to be 2 rules,
It's suggested that men dress modestly but it seems to slip and they aren't checked on as much as women. The hijab is compulsory in Iran now.

·
Registered
13,834 Posts
I imagine that in Iraq and India there are similar "rules" for women to wear. In the Israel section of Jerusalem and other Israel sections of that country you are not to wear a head covering if you want to be considered a chaste woman.

Jewish law/custom seems to specify that only prostitutes wear the head covering. Muslim/Iraq/Iran/some Turkish is the opposite. In either area I want that roomy clothing. The air moving over your legs is cooler than the outside air!

And Turkish dyed yarn....I want some! Just let me know what the names of the store/companies are and I'll hope to research and get prices long-distance. SIGH!

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom