Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Several years ago I did one with combo wool and mohair. Very happy with result until time to clean it and found professional cleaning is best. It is not too stretchy and warm. Used both yarns together as one.

·
Registered
10,812 Posts
Patons Classic Wool is soft - any yarn will eventually stretch some from the weight of the item - an afghan will take a lot of yarn, and depending on how tight the stitches are, will stretch out to some degree. BUT - if you handle it carefully, keeping it flat not hanging from and edge (like, I would use it on a couch or bed or some such, not hang it on a wall!) it should be fine.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Are you kidding!? Hand wash an afghan?? Not me. Never. I have made a couple of the Great American Aran Afghans using Plymouth Encore, and they came out beautifully, and can be machine washed. They were both gifts, and were appreciated greatly for the fact that they could be used, and easily washed if necessary. By the way, they were really fun to make. Every 12" square is different. (But if you didn't care for a particular square, you could substitute anything else, as long as it was 12"x12".)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
For me, it's difficult to make a wool anything for someone else. I never would make a new baby anything in wool.

Allergies -- that's why if I'm knitting a gift for babies or other people I use acrylic.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
There are many good brands of Super Wash wool out there that are machine washable wool. Look around for some in your area. Make sure the "feel" is what you like. One of the reasons soft yarn is not always used in large items is that it is more softly spun and seperates more and stretches more in larger items...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
NanaFran said:
Are you kidding!? Hand wash an afghan?? Not me. Never. I have made a couple of the Great American Aran Afghans using Plymouth Encore, and they came out beautifully, and can be machine washed. They were both gifts, and were appreciated greatly for the fact that they could be used, and easily washed if necessary. By the way, they were really fun to make. Every 12" square is different. (But if you didn't care for a particular square, you could substitute anything else, as long as it was 12"x12".)
My first reaction also. When I was re-learning to knit I got a pattern book at Michaels or JoAnns, I think it was called a sampler afghan. I did all twelve squares but never put it together because I couldn't crochet, I have since learned but it is in my WIP pile. I couldn't imagine handwashing something like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom