Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of yarn is best for a Bathroom rug. Like in front of the tub or shower. I made one for myself out of just worsted weight acrylic yarn, with two strands held together. It is very soft and spongy under your feet. I like it, but haven't washed it yet.
However, I want to make a couple for my daughter-in-law who is very up on what's right and what's not, so I thought I would ask the experts. I do want it soft and spongy though. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance,
Sue

·
Registered
790 Posts
I bought some Loops & Thread, County Loom yarn from Michaels, when it was on sale for about $2.50/skein. I used two strands together, and made my blanket 3 ft X 6 ft. I just washed it for the first time, and it's wonderful!! So soft!! I'm sure, if you use it for a bathroom mat, you could hang it over a rod to let it dry.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All the rugs I make have been out of worsted wt. acrylics. sometimes 2 strands together, sometimes 3. Use all my odds and ends this way. Have had some of them for over 20 yrs.Never dry them in dryer, always soft.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Use old cotton t-shirts cut into 1/2" strips. Which is brilliant for making rugs or look out for the new Hoopla yarn which is made from manufacturers off cuts.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
nanacari said:
All the rugs I make have been out of worsted wt. acrylics. sometimes 2 strands together, sometimes 3. Use all my odds and ends this way. Have had some of them for over 20 yrs.Never dry them in dryer, always soft.
I'm thinking of making myself some rugs to use up my yarn. When you use 3 strands of yarn together, what size needles do you use?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I have made 2 bathroom rugs in my time. The first one I used cotton because it was going to be in front of the tub. Nice and absorbent. Washed up nice, but was hard on the bare feet. Then second I tried using a chenille yarn. Was nice and soft on the feet, somewhat absorbent, however it did not wash up nice. I ignored the label that said hand wash. Who wants to hand wash rugs. It matted together and lost it's soft look and feel after several washings. This was many years ago when chenille yarns first came on the market. Not sure whether the blends used today would be machine washable or not. There is also a bulky yarn that that I saw at Walmart called Baby Blanket. I can't remember who makes this yarn, however if it holds up as a baby blanket you'd think it would hold up as a rug.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I have been thinking about making a bathroom rug for my front bathroom and was wondering the same thing. I have seen in the MM catalog that they have a brand called "Ragg". I like the looks of it and they have a pattern for a car coat and blankets (afghans) made out of it. I wonder if that would work.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks people for all the suggestions. I might look at that chenille to see if it's washables now days, and the Ragg yarn sounds good too. I agree about the cotton, it wouldn't be very soft. I'll check on the others though. Thanks again.
Sue

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom