Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay you KP's lets put our heads together.
Here is a picture of the scarf that my daughter wants me to knit.
It is knitted on #35 needles. As you can see in the picture very loosly. I tried out the instructions. Very easy with those large needles. The Yaren this is done in is Berroco. No dealers anywhere near here. Could order off of the internet, bud really it is so expensive that a scarf would be a waste of good yarn. Now here is what I need:
I would like to use other yarn and make some yarn for this project. Any ideas as to what we could use(other than close line rope) just kidding. It looks like a light weight but thick yarn.
Here are the instructions---
Pattern stitch---
Row 1 (RS) (k1, yo) 3 times k1- 7 sts.
Row 2 * P1 drop yo, make new yo, rep. from * to last st. end p1
Row 3 * K1, drop yo, make new yo, rep from * to last st, end k1
Rep- Rows 2 and 3 until yarn is almost gone, end on RS.
Next Row (RS) purl, dropping yo's - 4 sts. Bind off, working last 2 sts together.

I will be waiting to see what we come up with.
Arlene
ayjay

Attachments

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Do you really want to make enough I-Cord to make a scarf? Try Ice yarns. They have a yarn called Galaxy. Super Bulky. 3.00 per skein.

·
Registered
105 Posts
StitchDesigner said:
Do you really want to make enough I-Cord to make a scarf?

If you use one of the hand-crank cord makers, you can cord up an entire skein of sport yarn in less than a half hour. And it works wonderfully for crocheted scarves so I assume it would knit up on 35's also.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
silverseamer said:
StitchDesigner said:
Do you really want to make enough I-Cord to make a scarf?

If you use one of the hand-crank cord makers, you can cord up an entire skein of sport yarn in less than a half hour. And it works wonderfully for crocheted scarves so I assume it would knit up on 35's also.
That yarn looks thicker than a sport weight braid. If you're very dedicated to having it look similar, use a Knifty Knitter spool loom and bulky weight yarn.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I haven't got a clue. I was burning stash and made ten different scarves last Christmas and January birthdays for the grand girls. Yours will take up more than mine as you will be working the length as yarn after you make your tube. Mine was three tubes and braided not knitted.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am working on a pattern for how much yarn now.
I will post when I get it all figured out.
This is time consuming, but well worth it if I can get a Technic going here.
I am knitting a I cord. Now for the bulky yarn I did a 2 stitch I cord. Looks great.
I am now working with just regular 4 Ply and am making a 6 stitch I cord. It is coming out beautiful.
I guess that you will just have to play around a little.
The amount of yarn depends on how long you want the scarf.
Happy knitting all.
Arlene
ayjay

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think your wonderfull daughter should be part of the search for yarn committee asnd understand what is involved.
Making miles of I-Cord might be something she would enjoy doing.
The scarf is very attractive and different.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good Morning ayjay:
( don't have this patrtern that you mentioned - but another one very simple - knit 3 strips of 10 stitches about 60" long & then braid them. I did mine in 3 different colors - love wearing it.
Have a good day!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom