Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some beautiful 4 ply fingering merino/silk yarn I would like to buy. My question is how does this differ from sock yarn? The sock yarn I have does not tell the ply on the label and it is not on the internet either. Just wondering if 4 ply is thicker than the sock yarn. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
The ply refers to the number of strands of yarn twisted together to make the yarn. Two yarns of different thickness can still be the same ply and the other way around. The thickness of the yarn of the yarn depends on the thickness of the strands ( ply) it is made of. I hope this helps you understand the difference. But I can not tell you if one is heavier than the other. If the yarns weigh the same and have the same yardage they should work up the same.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!
GrandmaNona said:
The ply refers to the number of strands of yarn twisted together to make the yarn. Two yarns of different thickness can still be the same ply and the other way around. The thickness of the yarn of the yarn depends on the thickness of the strands ( ply) it is made of. I hope this helps you understand the difference. But I can not tell you if one is heavier than the other. If the yarns weigh the same and have the same yardage they should work up the same.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Fingering and sock yarns are roughly the same weight (#1.) But even within that category there is often an amazing amount of difference in the thickness of the yarn. I am currently knitting a shawl using leftover small balls of sock and fingering yarns all in the blue/red/purple range of colors and have been struck by the variations in thickness. However, I'm finding that it adds nice texture to the shawl.
Ellie

·
Registered
32,687 Posts
be sure to show us the shawl when you're done. I imagine it will be interesting with the variety of thicknesses.

aljellie said:
Fingering and sock yarns are roughly the same weight (#1.) But even within that category there is often an amazing amount of difference in the thickness of the yarn. I am currently knitting a shawl using leftover small balls of sock and fingering yarns all in the blue/red/purple range of colors and have been struck by the variations in thickness. However, I'm finding that it adds nice texture to the shawl.
Ellie

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I will if I can get a working camera and follow the directions on here for posting. I am the most computer illiterate person I know and my children and grandchildren live too far away to be of much help.
Ellie

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
If you check the "wraps per inch" (wpi) of the yarn you'll have an idea how it compares with the sock yarn. Wpi are measured by simply wrapping the yarn around something, a pencil or ruler perhaps, and counting how many strands fit, side by side, in an inch. You can check the various wpi of many yarns on Ravelry - do a search for the specific yarn and see if they list the wpi. Some are included, some not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom