Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back to knitting after several years. Lots of changes. Is there anywhere I can find a chart for exchanging yarn brands. For instance I have #3 baby sport. Then I have something else, #3, but it certainly is smaller.

Have forgotten how much liberty I can take in substituting needles to get a dab smaller or larger. How much could one alter the guage? IE on baby clothes would not want more than 3 or 4 sts. ?Am ripping out too much work that does not conform well. Sunshiner(or do you want my name?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gauge is the key to all pattern knitting. Even if you use the same yarn that the pattern calls for, if your gauge is different from the gauge listed in the pattern, your garment will come out a different size. And the garment will be vastly bigger/smaller if the gauge is vastly different. You can get the correct gauge by changing the needle size as long as you still like the fabric produced. Otherwise you will have to recalculate the stitches to cast on, increase, decrease, etc to make the garment fit properly.

So, if the pattern requires 24 st/10cm or 6 st/in and the gauge you knit is 20 st/10m or 5 st/in, then you would have to multiply the number of stitches cast on by 5 and then divide by 6. If the pattern calls for casting on 100 stitches, * 5 = 500, / 6 = 83. You would cast on 83 stitches to get the same size. The same is true in reverse: if you knit 6 sts/in and the pattern calls for 5 st/in, instead of cast on 100 you would multiply by 6 and divide by 5. 100 * 6=600 / 5 = 120. You would cast on 120 stitches instead of 100 to get the same size.

If your pattern has different sizes you may be able to use the pattern directions in a larger or smaller size to get the size you need. You just need to make sure you will be getting the results you desire.

This is why making a gauge swatch is so important in knitting.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Here's another site with good information http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards.html
there are alot of useful charts. the problem is that they are all slightly different. As another reply stated it's the gauge. we all want to start that pattern with that new yarn immediately and see it start to bloom, but it's the pits when it doesn't fit. thank goodness for those pattern where gauge doesn't matter so much. I need some to keep sane. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom