Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
11,098 Posts
I use 75% wool & 25% nylon in my socks as the nylon is there for strength in heels & toes. I use mostly Cascade sock yarns as they have quite a variety of colors-variegated, self striping & plain colors.
Have to use a size 0-I'm a loose knitter and use dpns.
It's not going to matter what sz needle we use for socks but for you to make a swatch to determine what sz you need. You want a firm fabric (dense) for socks & your pattern will tell your gauge. That is what you should go by. More than likely you will use a size from 0-2.

· Registered
16,180 Posts
I've only been knitting socks for about 3 years, so not a whole lot of experience. I use #1 weight fingering yarn. My favorites so far are: Deborah Norville Serenity, Patons Kroy, and Knit Picks Stroll. I also just recently bought some Knit Picks Felici, Opal, and Happy Feet which I haven't tried yet. I generally use 9" or 12" circular needles in size 0.

· Registered
4,194 Posts
Sock knitting is an entire world unto itself, which is why one becomes addicted - its fascinating! Prepare to experience knitting socks on both 9" and 12" circulars, dpns, and also the worlds of 2 At-A-Time (2AAT) on 2 16" circulars 2AATs and on what is called the Magic Loop (ML- a longer circular)! Try a few of these ways and explore/learn several ways to knit heels and take a shot at casting on (CO) to knit Toe Ups (TU).

It took several years and countless socks before I could break away from socks. I never managed it until my niece requested "a few shawls" to wear on her honeymoon and my sister (her grandmother) wanted me to copy a pretty 19" doily our mother crocheted for her and the crocheting has really made a big difference in the way my arthritic fingers feel, so much so that I'm 3/4 finished on a second doily and I'm planning to crochet for the next several months.

Socks are wonderful! I recommend you do a Search (at the top of this page) for sockit2me's pattern and follow his advice. He's highly experienced and knows a lot more about socks than I do.

· Registered
1,553 Posts
I use fingering sock yarn, any brand, using # 2 circular needles 40", and use the Toe Up Magic Loop method.

Of course you can use any thicker yarn that you like, then the number of stitches used would be less. Good luck and enjoy.

Anna

· Registered
2,307 Posts
You will get as many answers as there are yarns. It is a matter of personal preference and experimenting. I used two circular 2.75mms for a few years. After I joined KP my world opened to new methods. I have tried small circulars, magic loop, and two at a time all top down with sizes from 2mms to 3mms. On my needles at the moment are toe up, magic loop on separate needles , 2.25mms and 2.75. This will tell me which will fit the best. I use left over sock yarns . Have fun.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom