Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided its time to corral my various storage bags of yarn into one organized location. Since my two sons have both left the nest, one bedroom has been turned into a computer office & grandbaby sleeping room. The 2nd bedroom still has a double bed but I'm thinking of getting a storage cabinet for all yarns. Looking for some suggestions on what everyone does here for storage. I've seen some possible glass front storage cabinets from Ikea but hate the assembly process. Suggestions or photos welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
21,891 Posts
I am slowly getting plastic storage boxes to put my yarn into. I have 15 at the moment and whenever some are on special in the stores, I buy some more. They are also stackable and see through as well.

·
Registered
21,891 Posts
I am slowly getting plastic storage boxes to put my yarn into. I have 15 at the moment and whenever some are on special in the stores, I buy some more. They are also stackable and see through as well.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I did use an IKEA shelf, which I put together by myself, so you know it's easy! It is one that you can use either vertically or horizontally— two, three, or four slots wide, two, three, or four slots tall— just buy what fits your needs. Very flexible!! And all sorts of baskets etc. fit into the generously-sized slots, so you don't have to look at a lot of plastic storage stuff in your guest bedroom! There is also The Container Store that sells the same sort of thing. I don't know if you have to put them together, though.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I have file cabinets that are clean and I use that plus my yarn is in totes acording to the next projects in line.. if you have a lot of yarn you might want to get some book cases and put them in there like they do at the yarn shops... maybe get some clear sheeting and velcro so that the dust won't settle on it... just velcro it on the front of the book cases... or if you home is situated where dust is not a problem just put them on the shelves.. small book cases can hold different types of yarn and different shelves can hold different colors.. have fun.. think outside the box and you can still have a beautiful guest room even if the only thing staying in there is your yarn..LOL

·
1,070 Posts
I recently bought the wire frame storage shelves from Hefty, then purchased the plastic bins with clip on lids to go in the shelves. These bins are 29 quarts. They hold a lot of yarn and you can see what you have before opening the lids. I love them. I got the colored ones, hate black, that are used to store kids toys in. The wire frames come with plenty of plastic pieces used to snap the frame together. No tools needed.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
I have some on shelves in my knitting area that are pretty and on "display" sort of. I always put my skeins of same dye lots, etc. for each project into ziploc bags so that they are together before storing in plastic containers. This way they are together and you don't have to go rooting through the whole box for what you are looking for.

Sounds like you only have enough yarn for "display" organizing. If you keep it out, then the cabinet idea sounds great. I keep my totes in the back storage room, so I don't really NEED anything attractive.

The idea hepsubah gave sounds interesting, but I am not sure what she is talking about... have to google it as I am not familiar with this brand of storage.

Good luck with your organizing. Lucky you to have a craft room!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I am redoing one bedroom for my craft supplies, it still has a bed in it for quests. I had some black bookshelves I turned them sideways, so the shelves go up and down instead of side to side, and put in my yarn by wt, I did put clear plastic, the kind for windows, across the front, I put needles in vases on top, and crocheted doilies under them. I am doing this with fabric also, on one bookcase, I put all my balls of left over yarn in baskets, so when I knit hats for caps for kids, I have the little balls all separated to use for this.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
My fiber room doubles as a guest bedroom. There's storage space below the sofa bed..yarn in there, a dresser..yarn in there, a large leather storage ottoman...yarn in there, a book case t hat matches the dresser with baskets..yarn in those...a mesh hanging thing with compartments in the closet...yarn in there, storage tubs in the closet..yup, yarn in those too!

Yarns in the dresser are organized by weight..top drawer is lace, next one down is sock weight, etc.. Yarns in the ottoman..oh well I really do have it organized and mostly out of sight.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
I use shelving and plastic bins in my "studio" - just saw a friend's new studio for the first time and she has a whole wall of shelves and bins - made my stash look like a beginner!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have 2 chests of drawers full of yarn, one of those plastic 7 drawer units (where 4 are shallow and 3 are deep) a steamer trunk full and several clear plastic containers.

I had my current bedroom set up as a craft studio only, but when my girlfriend needed to move in, I had to rearrange some and put my bed in there too ... Phew, what a cramped area! It's a good thing I only "shop" for supplies and sleep in there. I still can't stay away from my LYS, but do it less often as I now don't have any more room ...
Yvette

·
Registered
411 Posts
The hanging ones are great as long as you have closet space...I didn't ...so I got an under the bed shoe storage bag...holds 18 ....once filled they can stack,or stand on end...either ones....have handles to move them around easily and so clean...has a nice clear top and sturdy (2 f them) zippers.....I got 2 in high hopes to one day fill them !!!lololol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom