Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel sad that my favorite yarn store is closing. This is the second one to close in the last couple of months. They were not close to each other. I do have a Joann's and Hobby Lobby close by, but they don't carry everything a knitter needs. Hard to believe these stores are closing as they are located close to Seattle in a well populated area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,757 Posts
Moisiline said:
I feel sad that my favorite yarn store is closing. This is the second one to close in the last couple of months. They were not close to each other. I do have a Joann's and Hobby Lobby close by, but they don't carry everything a knitter needs. Hard to believe these stores are closing as they are located close to Seattle in a well populated area.
I sympathise, our local yarn store is also closing down. :-(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,673 Posts
Moisiline said:
I feel sad that my favorite yarn store is closing. This is the second one to close in the last couple of months. They were not close to each other. I do have a Joann's and Hobby Lobby close by, but they don't carry everything a knitter needs. Hard to believe these stores are closing as they are located close to Seattle in a well populated area.
There is a new one that opened in February near Ikea in Seattle. It is called Makers Mercantile. They had some really nice yarn besides having other craft items. Not huge like JoAnn's, but a pretty good size and they have a web site if you want to check them out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,041 Posts
My favorite LYS closed a couple of years ago. They gave me so much help in putting my first sweater together. And the friendships that are made. And the beautiful yarns they have that the big stores don't.

So what did I do? I bought a stash of stuff at their sale and also purchased several of their display units that are upstairs, now, holding all the yarn I bought then, and since.

Still miss it. Another one closed nearby a year later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
When I need yarn I check Hobby Lobby first. If they do not have what I want I order it on line. I have gotten the same yarn my LYS had for much less money by ordering on line.

Most times the cost of yarn at the LYS is more than a person wants to spend or can afford.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
I am also saddened by the closing of local yarn shops. Both of mine closed a couple years ago. I am left with AC Moore and Michaels which don't have what I want most of the time. I don't really like buying yarn on-line unless I already know what it feels like. The softness and texture is really important to me and so many yarns feel harsh. I was more than willing to pay a little more for having more options but I guess those of us who were able to pay the extra were in the minority.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
You know that that is the most distinctive thing that you notice about textile artists' is the the way they feel yarn, material, etc---we all love the FEEL of stuff in our hands...How much we lose by buying online.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
puckfouse said:
You know that that is the most distinctive thing that you notice about textile artists' is the the way they feel yarn, material, etc---we all lovthe FEEL of stuff in our hands...How much we lose by buying online.
I disagree. I have gotten beautiful yarns on line and I would never have found the assortment of colors and textures anywhere else. I also would not have made some of the gifts that I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,145 Posts
The LYS's get undercut by the onliners. They can't go but so far in price point reductions and stay in business.
I have to watch my dollars and can't support the local shops if the onliner gives me a better deal even when I factor in the shipping/handling.
We NEED the LYS's but I often can't afford them. Damned if I do and damned if I don't..... :cry: :thumbdown:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
Dsynr said:
The LYS's get undercut by the onliners. They can't go but so far in price point reductions and stay in business.
I have to watch my dollars and can't support the local shops if the onliner gives me a better deal even when I factor in the shipping/handling.
We NEED the LYS's but I often can't afford them. Damned if I do and damned if I don't..... :cry: :thumbdown:
I agree. The local library knitting club is the where to go now for knitting help. I find all my help at KP and on-line. Though I go to the librry knitting club one a month just to join in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,223 Posts
nankat said:
My favorite LYS closed a couple of years ago. They gave me so much help in putting my first sweater together. And the friendships that are made. And the beautiful yarns they have that the big stores don't.

So what did I do? I bought a stash of stuff at their sale and also purchased several of their display units that are upstairs, now, holding all the yarn I bought then, and since.

Still miss it. Another one closed nearby a year later.
We've had several close in the last few years also.....I miss them. I always thought going into a beautiful yarn shop was a mood lifter for me - I loved seeing the colors and textures and being able to handle the yarn ...... there is just something about a really nice yarn shop :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,879 Posts
My favorite LYS closed a few months back. As I don't drive, it was convenitent for me on a train line.
Now I get most of my yarn online. I sometimes am disappointed and send it back. When I find one I really like, I order it often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
There is a personal element about being in business for yourself that I learned about when working at a commercial real estate office. My company sold businesses. What I learned is that businesses come and go because business owners get tired of the job. It's difficult to take a vacation from a business you own and the only way to get a vacation is to sell or close. Usually, the LYS owner has tried to sell their business but none will be wiling to purchase the whole big inventory so the owner has to liquidate; that is, have a 'going out of business sale' to recover their investment. It's just the nature of business. Someday, someone new will decide to open a new LYS and gradually build their stock and the cycle continues. Ican't purchase everything from my LYS but I try to support her when I can. I wanted another row counter and did n't feel like paying shipping charges for one little item so I got that from LYS as well as another set of DPNs. She was happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
I feel so fortunate to have several LYS nearby.. one about 2 miles away; one about 10 miles in the next town; and about 25-30 minutes from WEBS in Springfield, MA. In addition we also have a couple JoAnn's and Michael's, and an AC Moore in the area.

Yes, the LYS are more expensive, so I'm judicious in what I buy there; convertible needles for example, special projects, patterns. And unlike some comments in the past about LYSs, friendly & helpful owners and staff--even if I'm just browsing.

Sooo... C'mon down!! Ciao for now
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom