Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past week or so, someone posted an info chart about yarn substitutions, i.e., how many strands of #4 worsted weight, or #2 fingering, equal #6 bulky, etc. I thought I downloaded this information but now I can't find it, nor did I find it while doing a search on KP. Can someone help me?

·
Premium Member
80,959 Posts
soneka said:
In the past week or so, someone posted an info chart about yarn substitutions, i.e., how many strands of #4 worsted weight, or #2 fingering, equal #6 bulky, etc. I thought I downloaded this information but now I can't find it, nor did I find it while doing a search on KP. Can someone help me?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
soneka said:
This is not it. The chart you sent shows what needles or hooks to use with what weight yarn. I'm looking for YARN exchanges - what can I use to make up a bulky yarn, etc.

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
Baby or Fingering = 2 strands of lace weight
Sport = 2 strands fingering
DK- Worsted = 2-3 strands of sport
Bulky = 2 strands of worsted
Chunky = 3-4 strands of worsted
This is meant to be only a guide line. Gauge swatches will help obtain the correct gauge.

soneka said:

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Linda6885 said:
Baby or Fingering = 2 strands of lace weight
Sport = 2 strands fingering
DK- Worsted = 2-3 strands of sport
Bulky = 2 strands of worsted
Chunky = 3-4 strands of worsted
This is meant to be only a guide line. Gauge swatches will help obtain the correct gauge.

THis is it! Thanks, Linda.

soneka said:

·
Registered
653 Posts
soneka said:
soneka I think this might be what you are talking about:

http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/discontinued-yarn

We have received numerous requests to help match the older, discontinued yarns in the vintage patterns. The website, Vintage Knits, that originally compiled and published charts of the discontinued yarns is no longer active. We found the charts in interent archives and have republished the charts here.

When trying to determine which yarn to substitute, check to see if your vintage yarn is found on one of these Discontinued

Yarn Charts:
Light Weight Yarns
Medium Weight Yarns
Heavy Weight Yarns
Bulky Weight Yarns
Extra Bulky Weight Yarns

Following are yarn charts specific to manufacturers:
Star Yarns: Includes American Threads, Star Yarns and Dawn Yarns
Columbia Yarns: Yarns produced by James Lees & Sons in the 1930s to 1040s

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
Using a medium weight, for a pattern written for a light wieght probably will not work out. Try the gauge out, but most likely even if you get the gauge to work out, the resulting fabric may be too heavy. If you have your heart set on this pattern I would suggest you give up the medium weight yarn and get the light weight called for, or find another pattern which is written for the medium weight yarn you have. Sorry but changing gauge in patterns can be tricky.

TaliaB5 said:
Im making a sweater for a friends baby. The pattern calls for a light weight yarn (3) but I want to use a medium weight yarn (4) can you give me some pointers on this??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom