Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re. my recent email on this topic - I think it may have come out wrong in my wording - please note, I NEVER want to offend anyone from any country - sorry if it came out that way - when I referred to gaining most of my info on knitting from UK sites - I was thinking that for my novice knitting brain, the UK knitting terminology was as close to Australian as I could get. Again, very sorry if my poor wording had come across in any way unkind to anyone. :oops:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
fay000 said:
I was struggling with the exact same thing (frustrating I know)and one of the lovely ladies here said to google conversion charts for knitting needles and yarn, australian. When I did I came up with this one which I have been using ever since

http://www.theknittingsite.com/reference.htm

Hope it helps it gives sizes for yarn and sizes for knitting needles in US/UK/Aussie.
I to had problems with all the different yarn and needle sizes . I found this site which might help. http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/webcontent3.htm

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Schnauzer said:
Re. my recent email on this topic - I think it may have come out wrong in my wording - please note, I NEVER want to offend anyone from any country - sorry if it came out that way - when I referred to gaining most of my info on knitting from UK sites - I was thinking that for my novice knitting brain, the UK knitting terminology was as close to Australian as I could get. Again, very sorry if my poor wording had come across in any way unkind to anyone. :oops:
Ditto what Lois wrote! The ladies on this side have a great deal of patience and understanding. Am I right in assuming you are from Australia by your post about UK terminology being close to Australian? I class myself as a 'dummie' with my lack of knowledge re knitting, mainly because my brain is so overloaded it never seems to be able to 'file' the info that I need for projects I would like to attempt. Never thought of myself as 'getting old' until the last few years mainly because of my memory. I am not old though, unless you count 55 (in July) as being old. Funny how when I was in my 20's I probably thought 55 was old though. lol.

Take care
Love Jenny xxxx :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I have converted the chart I have into a picture so that I could send it on. Hope this one helps

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
fay000 said:
I was struggling with the exact same thing (frustrating I know)and one of the lovely ladies here said to google conversion charts for knitting needles and yarn, australian. When I did I came up with this one which I have been using ever since

http://www.theknittingsite.com/reference.htm

Hope it helps it gives sizes for yarn and sizes for knitting needles in US/UK/Aussie.
Hi fay000
Thankyou for the website, I am going to check it out and print it for future reference as I can never, it seems, remember what I need 'down the track. lol

Where in Tassie are you? I am here as well. Great place, but would love to be able to hang the washing outside instead of inside on the clotheshorse with heatpump on at the moment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Glad I could be of some help jenny, although I'm a newby to knitting that was the first thing the ladies here helped me with.
I know what you mean the rain is too much, hasn't stopped since monday and it's thursday *sigh*. Although I shouldn't complain, my family all comes from victoria and my parents home was in the path of the recent flooding, thankfully their home town was spared.
I'm in Hobart and I too am having trouble with my washing pile I'm starting to wonder whether its breeding, it seems to be increasing overnight, and my dryer is certainly getting a workout this week. Ah the joys of washing for 5.

Where abouts are you?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
fay000 said:
Glad I could be of some help jenny, although I'm a newby to knitting that was the first thing the ladies here helped me with.
I know what you mean the rain is too much, hasn't stopped since monday and it's thursday *sigh*. Although I shouldn't complain, my family all comes from victoria and my parents home was in the path of the recent flooding, thankfully their home town was spared.
I'm in Hobart and I too am having trouble with my washing pile I'm starting to wonder whether its breeding, it seems to be increasing overnight, and my dryer is certainly getting a workout this week. Ah the joys of washing for 5.

Where abouts are you?
Hi Fay

I guess you need a dryer when washing for 5. Often thought I might have too many doona covers and their matching pillow cases, but if this weather keeps up I will be greatful for the extra ones. They look like they are breeding in the laundry at the moment. Can't stand to see them so have neatly folded them and put them in my dirty laundry baskets till a dry day (knew I should have washed them before all this rain started). I'm just washing what I can and then hanging on clothes horses in family room where the heatpump is. Family room is looking like a 'chinese laundry'. lol

I'm trying not to moan too much about the rain, but even some of my friends who live off 'tank water' are wishing it would ease off so as we can all get our washing dry. Like me, I don't think they have clothes-dryers. I had one up until 10 or so years ago when I gave it to my daughter after she had my first grandson. Trouble is, she did not use cloth nappies as long as she was going to and changed to disposables and just used the dryer for towels and clothes. The dryer was my late mother-in-laws originally, then mine then my daughter, so I guess it had to 'die' sooner or later. lol

I live in Sorell. What suburb 'in Hobart' do you live, or do you actually live in the 7000 post-code area?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I completely understand the chinese laundry concept...lol, my children especially the middle girl, Sarah she's 3 likes to change outfits sometimes four times a day, sometimes I look at her and think "were you wearing that 30 mins ago?" LOL she's my girly girl all things pink and sparkly, must have bling. And I wouldn't survive without my dryer in fact I have a back up one in my garage just in case the one I'm using 'dies'.(I actually ended up with a spare when we bought my Mother in Laws house.)
I think though I'll second your thoughts and hope with all fingers crossed for some clear blue skies. I think these constant grey wet days affect my mood.
Sorells so close to us, we often go to seven mile beach. wow funny how the internet works. Glad to "meet" you Jenny.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
fay000 said:
I completely understand the chinese laundry concept...lol, my children especially the middle girl, Sarah she's 3 likes to change outfits sometimes four times a day, sometimes I look at her and think "were you wearing that 30 mins ago?" LOL she's my girly girl all things pink and sparkly, must have bling. And I wouldn't survive without my dryer in fact I have a back up one in my garage just in case the one I'm using 'dies'.(I actually ended up with a spare when we bought my Mother in Laws house.)
I think though I'll second your thoughts and hope with all fingers crossed for some clear blue skies. I think these constant grey wet days affect my mood.
Sorells so close to us, we often go to seven mile beach. wow funny how the internet works. Glad to "meet" you Jenny.
Hi Fay,
A friend of mine lives at Seven Mile Beach and when I visit my daughter at Lauderdale, I actually go via 7MB.
My grand-daughter in QLD, who is almost 6 sound just like your daughter. When my grandmother passed away I gave my grand-daughter a lot of Nan's necklaces and beads. She also loves things for her long hair. Never get stuck for what to give her as anything 'girlie' she is happy with. We always give the grandchildren a pair of pj's and chocolate egg/bunny for Easter, so I know to just get pink very girly pj's for her.
I know that the 'grey' days definitely affect my mood, so praying for at least one sunny day at the weekend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yep little girls and their pink and nothing but pink faze....lol. I was a tom boy growing up and now I know how lovely it can be doing the tea party and the tu tu's because of my daughter. Never imagined myself actually enjoying it, but secretly I do. I've just gone to spotlight to buy tutu material for Sarah's 4th b'day I thought I would make her one. Rather than buying a ready made one at 40 dollars a pop, sure saves money when at this age all they want is a pretty tutu. I'm not looking forward to the "I want an I phone" phase. lol.
Love to you and yours especially with easter comming up!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
fay000 said:
Yep little girls and their pink and nothing but pink faze....lol. I was a tom boy growing up and now I know how lovely it can be doing the tea party and the tu tu's because of my daughter. Never imagined myself actually enjoying it, but secretly I do. I've just gone to spotlight to buy tutu material for Sarah's 4th b'day I thought I would make her one. Rather than buying a ready made one at 40 dollars a pop, sure saves money when at this age all they want is a pretty tutu. I'm not looking forward to the "I want an I phone" phase. lol.
Love to you and yours especially with easter comming up!
Hi Fay
I was the eldest of three girls in my family and I was assigned pink, my middle sister blue and the youngest lemon. My middle sister was a bit of a tom-boy, but she actually turned out to be the most creative and able 'sewer' in the family. My youngest sister has never been interested in any crafts, but that is her choice. I love 'crafty things', just not that good at it. Quite sad about it actually. At least my daughter (almost 34) is very creative and does heaps of things for her sons. I don't mean knitting and sewing, but anything to do with invitation cards, giftcards, birthday cards, halloween, Easter, Christmas, birthdays and the list goes on. She has great ideas and I am so proud of her. She could make a great living out of it if she decided to sell things she makes. I am 100 percent sure she could sell them as many people have said how good she is at it. Who knows, maybe one day.

Good luck with making the tutu for Sarah. I am sure she will love it. My grand-daughter does 'dancing' in QLD so has beautiful costumes. We spoke to our son and grandchildren on Sunday night via Skype and it was soooo good to see them as we have not seen them since October last year. Our granddaughter, with her mothers help, put on the two costumes she is wearing in an up-coming competition thing (can't think of the proper name for the actual comp. though, sorry) to show us. She looked so cute, and the costumes are gorgeous and oh so girly. lol

I hope you and yours also have a lovely Easter.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes - I'm in Australia - actually "up North" in Tassie!!!!
We are one of the 7000 postcodes :) But we don't believe in the "them and us" crazyness - just like Sydney and Melbourne - Tassie is beautiful all over - as is the Mainland.

Lovely to 'meet' and 'chat' with you - all the very best with your knitting and all things.

:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm glad you found a solution to your frustration schnauzer, up north in tassie? Your a launnie lass? I'm actually victorian and moved here with my partner, he was raised here and as soon as I got off the plane for a "visit" I knew I could live here it's a beautiful place, just have to get used to the cold, and it took me a while. Arctic winds aren't pleasant especially when you're not used to them. lol my children were all born here in Tas and I sometimes beg them to get more clothes on. I'm cold and they think it's hot. Ahh well it's worth the trade off for the scenery in my mind at least.
Oh and melbourne is better than sydney...lol!!
Happy knitting!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom