Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Amish wooden swift, so I need a yarn winder as well.

Having looked at all the plastic ones that have (mixed reviews) and the Boye electric, I cannot decide which one to purchase. Would rather spend a little more and have something that operates well and will last.

I would appreciate any input you all have with the various models, especially the electric ones.

Thank you in advance. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,199 Posts
My friends have the one from Knit Picks and they all love them. Theirs is just $20, and worth the investment. It is a hand crank that can be held in hand while winding and also has an adjustment to allow it to be screwed onto the edge of a table (leaves no marks) if that is your preference. It is the least expensive I have seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,399 Posts
Mine is a plastic one too. I think I got it at Knit Picks. I have used it a lot and found that it makes life easier when working with multi colors in a pattern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,695 Posts
Another vote for the one from Knit Picks. I always clamp it to a table, hand holding doesn't give me even tension while turning the handle. I like to gently run the yarn through my fingers of my left hand as I wind. Not only do I get even tension but I can feel any problems along the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,412 Posts
Deeknits said:
Another vote for the one from Knit Picks. I always clamp it to a table, hand holding doesn't give me even tension while turning the handle. I like to gently run the yarn through my fingers of my left hand as I wind. Not only do I get even tension but I can feel any problems along the way.
Ditto except that I bought my hand-operated ball winder from Amazon. Works perfectly! :thumbup: I have read on KP that some don't care for the electric ones because you have no control over winding speed, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks to all of you for your rapid response and input regarding the Yarn Winder from Knit Picks and comments regarding the electric winders.

I believe I will order the winder from Knit Picks......you can't beat the price!!!!! :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I bought the plastic swift and hand turned ball winder through eBay. Both of these helpers work beautifully and I'm very pleased with them. I was very hesitant to purchase them from a business in China but it was a flawless transaction and these are very good products. Just as someone else said on here, I prefer to let the unwinding yarn run through my left hand as it goes to the ball winder so that I can interfere quickly if there's a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sassynana said:
I bought the plastic swift and hand turned ball winder through eBay. Both of these helpers work beautifully and I'm very pleased with them. I was very hesitant to purchase them from a business in China but it was a flawless transaction and these are very good products. Just as someone else said on here, I prefer to let the unwinding yarn run through my left hand as it goes to the ball winder so that I can interfere quickly if there's a problem.
It's very helpful to know that you can use your left hand for tension control. Thank you to all that shared that information! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,813 Posts
This forum has had negative reviews of the electric one. I have had the same brand that KnitPicks carries since before there WAS a KnitPicks! It is easy to use and has certainly held up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WONDERFUL! I am so glad to hear that I can get a good product at a great price from Knit Picks & not spend more money for an electric unit that does not work as well.

Thank you kindly!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
I love the plastic yarn winders - The Royal or Bond are great. I had an electric yarn winder and even though it cost a lot more, I didn't care for it at all. I have more control over how the yarn is wound with the manual winder. I gave my Boye one to charity.
Missy2 said:
I recently purchased the Amish wooden swift, so I need a yarn winder as well.

Having looked at all the plastic ones that have (mixed reviews) and the Boye electric, I cannot decide which one to purchase. Would rather spend a little more and have something that operates well and will last.

I would appreciate any input you all have with the various models, especially the electric ones.

Thank you in advance. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I have both the plastic and electric. So far I have only used the plastic and it works great of course I didn't fully read he instructions and took it off the wrong way ,you can just imagine. It is sitting in a plastic bag waiting to be untangled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
I also have the knitpicks one. I like it -- but have a little trouble with the table clamp. Maybe because the edge of the table is rounded? Will try it on a straight edged table.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,886 Posts
I have 2 different yarn winders, both plastic. I don't know the name of the one that is wonderful, but the other is a Lacis In-Line Yarn Ball Winder that can be found at LACIS.com Berkley, CA. I HATE the Lacis. It does not wind on evenly at all, the balls are not as uniform or as big. It is well made and looks really nice but I would Never recommend it. Both clamp to the table the same way. A rounded table does not work as well as a straight edged table. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,886 Posts
Jmklous said:
Knt picks has one for 20 and u will love it. It great and the cheapest you can find. It's the same as the lacis the gal was talking about above me
She is right, they do look almost alike! But they sure don't work the same. I checked and the one I do like is from Knit Picks. I saw a couple of bad reviews on it but I have never had any trouble with mine and use it constantly.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom