Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Absolutely. You'll find as you do more projects that they are nearly all different. When you are more experienced, and you want to substitute one yarn for another, you'll be able to figure out which ones have similar properties. But for now, just observe as you work and learn to feel the differences.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm not an expert on it, but I tend to think of acrylics and wools as having a little more stretch than cotton. And then I have a sock yarn that has elastic in it or something, as it goes boingy boingy when I pull on it. There are so many different blends that all have different properties. And I don't think silk feels stretchy when being worked, but then it "drops," if that's the right word for it, after being worked, making it longer than you think it will be. If I have to substitute a different brand yarn than what's called for, I try to come as close to the content as possible, so it will work up the same way.

·
Registered
43,279 Posts
Buffy said:
I'm not an expert on it, but I tend to think of acrylics and wools as having a little more stretch than cotton. And then I have a sock yarn that has elastic in it or something, as it goes boingy boingy when I pull on it. There are so many different blends that all have different properties. And I don't think silk feels stretchy when being worked, but then it "drops," if that's the right word for it, after being worked, making it longer than you think it will be. If I have to substitute a different brand yarn than what's called for, I try to come as close to the content as possible, so it will work up the same way.
Now that's something I've learnt today - that sock yarn goes boingy boingy! Brilliant. I have a yarn thayt goes twang, but I've forgot what it is. :roll:

·
Registered
41,678 Posts
The yarn that goes "twang" - is it from the South? Always did love that accent!! I'm curious about the sock yarn that goes boing.....I saw the stretchy stuff in the store and saw that it had the elastic....thought it would be hard to work with. Not ready to start on socks just yet, but think I may try the boing boing yarn.

·
Registered
556 Posts
RookieRetiree said:
The yarn that goes "twang" - is it from the South? Always did love that accent!! I'm curious about the sock yarn that goes boing.....I saw the stretchy stuff in the store and saw that it had the elastic....thought it would be hard to work with. Not ready to start on socks just yet, but think I may try the boing boing yarn.
Patons Stretch Socks yarn--love it! Easy to work with & the socks don't get all droopy after 10 minutes of wearing!

·
Registered
43,279 Posts
pamela Lehmann said:
RookieRetiree said:
Patons Stretch Socks yarn--love it! Easy to work with & the socks don't get all droopy after 10 minutes of wearing!
Well I can see I'll just have to have a go at knitting socks then I'll be able to boing along when I go on my long walks. Still can remember what the twangy yarn was.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The boingy boingy yarn is Cascade Yarns' Fixation. It hugs your feet, and also doesn't droop after wearing for a while. If you're new to socks, I recommend you use four needles to hold the stitches, and not three. You get a "run" in the socks at the spaces between needles when there are only three.

Also, if this is your first time, I highly recommend you use a contrasting strand of yarn and run it forward and back between a set of stitches to make it easier to count the rows you've worked. You may even use different colors for the rib and upper part, the gusset, and the foot sections, so when you are ready to do the second sock, you can ensure you've got the correct number of rows in each section.

·
Registered
43,279 Posts
Buffy said:
The boingy boingy yarn is Cascade Yarns' Fixation. It hugs your feet, and also doesn't droop after wearing for a while. If you're new to socks, I recommend you use four needles to hold the stitches, and not three. You get a "run" in the socks at the spaces between needles when there are only three.

Also, if this is your first time, I highly recommend you use a contrasting strand of yarn and run it forward and back between a set of stitches to make it easier to count the rows you've worked. You may even use different colors for the rib and upper part, the gusset, and the foot sections, so when you are ready to do the second sock, you can ensure you've got the correct number of rows in each section.
Hi Buffy, Thanks so much for all the advise I'll bear it it mind. I've knittee fingerless mitts using four needles and I seemed to manage ok, so I'll give four a try with the socks. Need to get the yarn first. I have a very good online store here in the UK so I'll see if they have it. Thanks again. Have a good weekend.

:p

·
Registered
678 Posts
There are a large number of different sock yarns...if you Google Sock Yarn you will find out just how many different brands and colors there are. Some are self striping. I really love one that is by a German company but can't think of the name of it right now. I do toes up socks for sisters and they love the colors. Be brave... I need to get courage to try sweaters and tops now. First project knitting after 30 or so years of not knitting was socks and I am by NO means an expert. Advise though you get needle protectors for the points to keep stitches on needles ...I use 5 double points Bamboo.

·
Registered
43,279 Posts
ChocolatePom said:
There are a large number of different sock yarns...if you Google Sock Yarn you will find out just how many different brands and colors there are. Some are self striping. I really love one that is by a German company but can't think of the name of it right now. I do toes up socks for sisters and they love the colors. Be brave... I need to get courage to try sweaters and tops now. First project knitting after 30 or so years of not knitting was socks and I am by NO means an expert. Advise though you get needle protectors for the points to keep stitches on needles ...I use 5 double points Bamboo.
Hi and thanks for the advice. I will give it a go. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom