Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kpers: I need a chart so when I buy yarn, I know how many yards are in that skein. Right now I have purchased 50g = 175m but do not know how many yards that are. So could use a chart that I can keep close at hand.

Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I don't think there is a chart that does exactly what you want. However, if you can carry a small calculator in your purse you can do this math. Multiply the meters by 1.09 and you will have the yardage. (maybe tape a note to the back of the calculator to remember the 1.09). So if you multiply 175 x 1.09, you will find it is 190.75yds.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
175 meters equals 191.3823 yards
200 meters equals 218.7227 yards
150 meters equals 164.042 yards
125 meters equals 136.7017 yards
100 meters equals 109.3613 yards
75 meters equals 82.021 yards
50 meters equals 54.68066 yards

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
But you cannot use grams (weight) to calculate length. weight is a factor of the fiber used and the manufacturer --- wool from sheep will weigh more than acrylic for example
100 grams of a fingering weight yarn in a specific fiber will probably have about 430 yards but 100 grams of a worsted weight yarn in the same specific fiber will have maybe 200 yards.
Sometimes patterns will call for so many grams of a given type (like DK, sport, worsted) of yarn.....
but I don't find that helpful.... I would rather know how many yards or meters of a given yarn are needed.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
I find know how much a designer is calling for weight wise very helpful. I can weigh stash to see if I have enough to make a project.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Got a smart phone? There are some simple apps that are available. One I have can do conversions for weight, length, temperature, mass, speed, area and others. I also have an app that will figure percentages. These apps have saved my baccon a time or two. As you can tell math is NOT my strong suit. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom