Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started knitting a shrug/sweater that was shown on the TV show Knit and Crochet Now. I am pleased with it and I have completed the body. The next set of instructions call for me to pickup stitches and make the sleeves. my problem is that the garment has a 12 row lace? inset pattern on the fronts and sleeves. The sweater was knit from the bottom up but if I pickup stitches and knit down the sleeves my pattern will be upside down. In the TV program no one said anything. Is this typical? Can I knit row 12 - 1 and obtain the same pattern? I am at a loss and would appreciate your help.

I don't have the link but it is:
KnitandCrochetNow.com Episode 402NK
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,297 Posts
In the picture the inset design is upside down. I think that is the way it is supposed to be. Look closely and you will see the "v" pattern is reversed in the sleeves. I would follow the pattern, it is beautiful. I think I also saw this in a magazine, but can't remember which one.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,377 Posts
NanGreen said:
I started knitting a shrug/sweater that was shown on the TV show Knit and Crochet Now. I am pleased with it and I have completed the body. The next set of instructions call for me to pickup stitches and make the sleeves. my problem is that the garment has a 12 row lace? inset pattern on the fronts and sleeves. The sweater was knit from the bottom up but if I pickup stitches and knit down the sleeves my pattern will be upside down. In the TV program no one said anything. Is this typical? Can I knit row 12 - 1 and obtain the same pattern? I am at a loss and would appreciate your help.

I don't have the link but it is:
KnitandCrochetNow.com Episode 402NK
if you look carefully at the pic with the pattern you will see that the sleeve lace pattern is reversed to the body pattern. So its meant to be upside down.

Just follow the directions.

Madkiwi.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought about that but the pattern calls for you to just pickup stitches and make the sleeves. So no separate part or cap. Also, I wanted to learn this technique. Thanks for your suggestion.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,045 Posts
NanGreen said:
I started knitting a shrug/sweater that was shown on the TV show Knit and Crochet Now. I am pleased with it and I have completed the body. The next set of instructions call for me to pickup stitches and make the sleeves. my problem is that the garment has a 12 row lace? inset pattern on the fronts and sleeves. The sweater was knit from the bottom up but if I pickup stitches and knit down the sleeves my pattern will be upside down. In the TV program no one said anything. Is this typical? Can I knit row 12 - 1 and obtain the same pattern? I am at a loss and would appreciate your help.

I don't have the link but it is:
KnitandCrochetNow.com Episode 402NK
Cast On and work the sleeves in the opposite direction, working the Garter Stitch edge, the plain rows then the pattern rows.
You should be ok with working the pattern after having done the rest of the garment.
Stitch the sleeve onto the body using Mattress Stitch, remembering to allow for the difference in stitch size compared to Row ends.
I would start in the centre of the sleeve at the shoulder, sewing down to the marker, then go back to the top and work in the opposite direction.
(Use a thread long enough to sew both sides)
Hope this helps.
Have fun.
Colleen
 

· Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Dcsmith77 said:
In the picture the inset design is upside down. I think that is the way it is supposed to be. Look closely and you will see the "v" pattern is reversed in the sleeves. I would follow the pattern, it is beautiful. I think I also saw this in a magazine, but can't remember which one.
It's on the cover of Creative Knitting Spring 2013. :) It's one of the few I own.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aggie May said:
Cast On and work the sleeves in the opposite direction, working the Garter Stitch edge, the plain rows then the pattern rows.
You should be ok with working the pattern after having done the rest of the garment.
Stitch the sleeve onto the body using Mattress Stitch, remembering to allow for the difference in stitch size compared to Row ends.
I would start in the centre of the sleeve at the shoulder, sewing down to the marker, then go back to the top and work in the opposite direction.
(Use a thread long enough to sew both sides)
Hope this helps.
Have fun.
Colleen
I may have to do that. I tried to work the pattern backwards 12 to 1 but I am not having much luck. Thanks for your comments.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom