Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems to me that talented knitting and crochet designers, famous musicians, great artists and authors have one particular thing in common. All of the examples I have mentioned share the uncanny knack to be long remembered for one particular piece of work.

As you probably already know, Marianna Mel is well known throughout the knitting world for her lovely non complicated designs, partially because they are really great for novice knitters like myself. There is nothing more fulfilling than being able to knit your very first baby cardigan! I personally think the design Marianna is best known for, is her Baby Hug Boots. I daresay millions of pairs of these cute little boots have been knitted in Britain alone. Hopefully you too will catch the ā€˜baby hug boot bugā€™, if you havenā€™t already!

What is your pick, who is your favourite designer, and what do you consider to be the designerā€™s best pattern?

If possible can you also provide a link to your favourite designerā€™s pattern, in case others may wish to pursue your choice.

I am so looking forward to seeing what you like! There is never a shortage of room for beautiful patterns!

I love Dee Oā€™Keefe (KPā€™s Stevieland) shawl designsā€¦. Her Ashton shawlette pattern was my introduction to knitting lace and reading charts. I was astounded to see that I could make beautiful lacy shawls. Iā€™ve made a half a dozen shawls all of them using a few of Deeā€™s beautiful designs. Jen.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#query=Dee O'Keefe designs&sort=best&view=large_mobile&page=1

I love Dee Oā€™Keefe (KPā€™s Stevieland) shawl designsā€¦. Her Ashton shawlette pattern was my introduction to knitting lace and reading charts. I was astounded to see that I could make beautiful lacy shawls. Iā€™ve made a half a dozen shawls all of them using a few of Deeā€™s beautiful designs. Jen.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#query=Dee O'Keefe designs&sort=best&view=large_mobile&page=1
Oh my goodness Jen, I couldnā€™t even dream of knitting lace or reading charts.

Oh my goodness Jen, I couldnā€™t even dream of knitting lace or reading charts.
Thatā€™s exactly what I thought too Christine until I started with Deeā€™s Ashton shawlette. Dee guides you through the chart reading with her well written instructions. As well as the chart she writes out the pattern too. I did an enlarged version of the Ashton shawl in 2ply yarn for my daughterā€™s Wedding Shawl. Jen.

I agree! The Ashton Shawlette was my first shawl, made with fingering weight yarn (Figment sparkly sock yarn Starry Night). I loved it so much, I made a second one with Hobbi's metallic Christmas sock yarn (Christmas Sock Wool Glitter Collection Color Pack (Limited Edition) from Hobbii), repeating the center motif to make a larger shawl. I love the versatility of the pattern - you can use really any weight yarn, adjusting the number of center repeats to get the size you choose. I consider myself an beginner/intermediate knitter, and the instructions were very clear. Don't be afraid to dive into something new like this!
Tree Wood Textile Dress Sleeve

I e added this to my to do list. So pretty

It seems to me that talented knitting and crochet designers, famous musicians, great artists and authors have one particular thing in common. All of the examples I have mentioned share the uncanny knack to be long remembered for one particular piece of work.

As you probably already know, Marianna Mel is well known throughout the knitting world for her lovely non complicated designs, partially because they are really great for novice knitters like myself. There is nothing more fulfilling than being able to knit your very first baby cardigan! I personally think the design Marianna is best known for, is her Baby Hug Boots. I daresay millions of pairs of these cute little boots have been knitted in Britain alone. Hopefully you too will catch the ā€˜baby hug boot bugā€™, if you havenā€™t already!

What is your pick, who is your favourite designer, and what do you consider to be the designerā€™s best pattern?

If possible can you also provide a link to your favourite designerā€™s pattern, in case others may wish to pursue your choice.

I am so looking forward to seeing what you like! There is never a shortage of room for beautiful patterns!

I also love Marianna Melā€™s designs although Iā€™ve never made the hug boots. I especially like her ā€œall in oneā€ baby cardigans.
Purple Sleeve Baby & toddler clothing Creative arts Pink
Purple Sleeve Baby & toddler clothing Creative arts Pink

I've been inspired to try the Ashton Shawl after all the enthusiasm both here and in the project notes, but I've got some beautiful lace yarn I'd like to use rather than sock yarn. I haven't gone through all the projects on Ravelry, but one person using lace yarn used a bigger needle, is that a good idea do you think?

I've been inspired to try the Ashton Shawl after all the enthusiasm both here and in the project notes, but I've got some beautiful lace yarn I'd like to use rather than sock yarn. I haven't gone through all the projects on Ravelry, but one person using lace yarn used a bigger needle, is that a good idea do you think?
I know many, like me donā€™t like to swatch (a sin, I know) but with a shawl itā€™s not like a sweater that needs to fit properly.
But I will cast on a certain number of stitches and knit for a couple of inches, switch to a different sized needle and repeat on the same sample and continue either increasing or decreasing the needle size until I like the drape and feel of the sample. Then I frog and start with my preferred needle sizeā€¦
I guess I ā€œkind ofā€ swatchā€¦:rolleyes:

don't have a favorite designer but I am drawn to crocheted shawls. I have so many books. Single patterns, and free patterns I could easily make one a day the rest of my life as long as I use DK, sport or lace yarn I probably have enough yarn.i don't even own one myself because if I wear one and someone likes it I give it away. I love making someone happy.

In my photos above ā¬† the cream shawl is the Ashton that I made for my DDā€™s wedding. It was knit in Debbie Bliss Rialto lace weight (2ply) yarn and I used the 3.75mm needle the pattern calls for. Jen.

In addition to the designers mentioned here, I follow so many I canā€™t count them all and quite a few of their patterns are in my ravelry library. I canā€™t pick a pattern as its been a long time since Iā€™ve started or worked on anything

Kim Guzman

MMario (He unfortunately passed away but his family has graciously allowed Raverly to set his beautiful patterns to free)

Isabell Kraemer

Jen Steinglass

Bebaā€™s Blankets

Martin Up North

Frank Oā€™Randle

Abbeymade

Maud Akkermans

MrsKnowall (Her Ravelry Username, I canā€™t spell her real name)

Ravliki

And multiple more

Ysolda Teague, Musselburgh hat. I have made 5 and one on the needles now. It is very popular. It is a paid pattern but worth every penny. No swatch needed, you cast on and knit and measure gauge an inch or so into the increase rounds.

I am not sure I could pick a favorite. There are some patterns that I repeat and any of Dee's are certainly repeatable. I love the Anemone Hat by Cat Bordhi for unusual hats, Just Breathe by CJ Brady for scarves. Just too many designers and too many patterns to pick a favorite - also depends on what mood I'm in and what yarn I feel like working with.

My favourite pattern was a free amigurumi pattern .... a simple bear called "Sleepy Bear". The designer's website is so much fun and the bear easy to make, with all manner of written and pictorial tutorials to help.

Amigurumi was relatively new to me when I first discovered this Sleepy Bear pattern .... that was almost 10 years ago; I'm still making them!

I've made dozens and dozens of these ..... and knocked off a few mini-sleepy bears and even a Koala Sleepy Bear by making a few adjustments. The pattern is just that easy to work with!

The Designer is Jennifer Olivarez and her website is called Squirrel Picnic.
Sleepy Bear Crochet Pattern

Here are a few bears made from Jennifer's pattern.
Window Textile Toy Interior design Tartan

Vertebrate Toy Blue Purple Textile

Brown Product Textile Toy Creative arts

Thanks for asking šŸŒ¼

Wonderful designers for sure. I canā€™t say enough good things about Pat Alinejad ( aka Gypsycream). If animals are your thing then this designer is top of the heap. Incredibly clear written instructions and diagrams galore. I have made many of her toys and not one has not turned out the exact way I wanted. A++ for this talented woman

I know many, like me donā€™t like to swatch (a sin, I know) but with a shawl itā€™s not like a sweater that needs to fit properly.
But I will cast on a certain number of stitches and knit for a couple of inches, switch to a different sized needle and repeat on the same sample and continue either increasing or decreasing the needle size until I like the drape and feel of the sample. Then I frog and start with my preferred needle sizeā€¦
I guess I ā€œkind ofā€ swatchā€¦:rolleyes:
There's no sin in not swatching if you are an experienced knitter. Ive probably swatched less than 10 times in over 60 years of knitting and the majority of my knits are garments. The only time I have had fit problems is in test knits that had errors (like every size having the identical armhole depths).

My favourite pattern was a free amigurumi pattern .... a simple bear called "Sleepy Bear". The designer's website is so much fun and the bear easy to make, with all manner of written and pictorial tutorials to help.

Amigurumi was relatively new to me when I first discovered this Sleepy Bear pattern .... that was almost 10 years ago; I'm still making them!

I've made dozens and dozens of these ..... and knocked off a few mini-sleepy bears and even a Koala Sleepy Bear by making a few adjustments. The pattern is just that easy to work with!

The Designer is Jennifer Olivarez and her website is called Squirrel Picnic.
Sleepy Bear Crochet Pattern

Here are a few bears made from Jennifer's pattern.
View attachment 1277748

View attachment 1277750

View attachment 1277749

Thanks for asking šŸŒ¼
If I might ask, in the first and third pictures, what is the afghan pattern? It looks like something the twins would love.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom