Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

· Registered
15,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been knitting a lot lately...mostly hats for 3 different organizations. This past week I misplaced my metal circular needle and opened a new needle, but this one is bamboo.

I do have my preference, but would like to have your opinion on which you prefer. The bamboo points are pointier than the metal, but when working with DK and worsted yarns, that should not be a deciding factor.

Let me know your preference....personally, I find the yarns slide easier and with less work on metal than on bamboo.

· Registered
784 Posts
I've been knitting a lot lately...mostly hats for 3 different organizations. This past week I misplaced my metal circular needle and opened a new needle, but this one is bamboo.

I do have my preference, but would like to have your opinion on which you prefer. The bamboo points are pointier than the metal, but when working with DK and worsted yarns, that should not be a deciding factor.

Let me know your preference....personally, I find the yarns slide easier and with less work on metal than on bamboo.
I actually prefer “grabbier” needles for socks, hats, and other smaller objects. So would vote for bamboo for them. For sweaters, afghans and other larger projects metal needles are fine

· Registered
1,543 Posts
I have Fibromyalgia and Arthritis. I used to prefer the metal needles because the yarn slides so easily on them and my projects could get finished in no time. But as these conditions worsened with old age, I switched to bamboo needles because my fingers could grasp them better. Now, my hands are in braces a lot and knitting is no longer enjoyable or even possible some days. 😰I was always glad to see so many different options in the stores because one size does NOT fit all!

· Registered
13,967 Posts
Definitely metal better than bambo. I like sharp tips for 99% of my knitting. Bamboo isn't sharp enough (some wooden needles are though) and it is grabby. I really like the old vintage plastic and nylon that have sharp tips and slide stitches nicely.
You know there is more than just metal and bamboo. There are wooden needles and plastic and some kind of improved plastic/acrylic.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
I normally use metal circular needles for most of what I knit.

If I'm knitting something that calls for double pointed needles, then I prefer wood/bamboo as that type needle seems to hold on to the yarn where the metal let's it slip.

And I definitely don't care for the inexpensive plastic type circulars. Seems like the yarn won't move smoothly on them.

· Registered
16,732 Posts
It depends on the yarn, what I am knitting and how my hands feel. Most of my circular needles are metal. Since much of my knitting is hats for charity! My metal needles are fine and let me knit quickly. I definitely prefer a “grabbier” needle for slick yarns and when working with dpns. But how my hands feel also affects the decision, I find I grip metal needles harder, so if my hands hurt I tend to use bamboo or wood. Even a the slightest increase in pressure affects how quickly my hands tire.

Addendum: I also use bamboo or wood with yarn with a loose twist, the blunter tip means fewer split stitches for me.

· Registered
2,589 Posts

Depends on what I am knitting. I have a pair of socks on bamboo, and a poncho on metal…..

· Registered
20,645 Posts
For me it's a definite, it depends. ;) Lately I find myself using aluminum needles (Zing) a lot. I also use the shiny and pointy metal ones (Nova Platina) and wood (Sunstruck) depending on the yarn. I recently bought a cheap set of carbonized bamboo dpn for glove fingers and dropping down and fixing mistakes; fingers are about the only knitting in the round I'll use dpn for so I really need the stitches stay on the needles and for dropping down and reknitting I like the grabbier dpn.

· Registered
15,901 Posts
For me, it depends on the yarn fiber I'm using as to which needle I use. When using mohair and rayon, a bamboo needle helps keep the stitches from slipping off the needle tips. Using a shiny metal needle with any slippery yarn (especially rayon) is a disaster waiting to happen. However, when I knit with Homespun, Pipsqueak or a thick novelty yarn, a shiny slippery needle works the best. The needles I use the most are the vintage all nylon circulars because I can knit slippery yarns (rayon and mohair) and a variety of novelty yarns with no issues. It's the Goldilocks thing...they're not too grabby or too slippery, but "just right" IMO. They work great for most of the yarns I use.

· Registered
18 Posts

I prefer bamboo for most knitting, especially lace. They are not as slippery and chances of losing stitches is reduced. We like to travel and they have the added bonus of being able to go on a flight.

· Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
88,967 Posts
Metal needles/hooks for everything. They allow you to go faster and the stitches move along nicely.
For me, even the lightest/shortest metal dpns are too apt to slide out of the very few stitches as one nears the tip of a (glove or mitten) finger. That’s when I use the 4” bamboo dpns bought years ago on eBay. They’re nigh weightless and don’t tend to fall out when there are only a couple of stitches left on each.

· Registered
16,806 Posts
For me, even the lightest/shortest metal dpns are too apt to slide out of the very few stitches as one nears the tip of a (glove or mitten) finger. That’s when I use the 4” bamboo dpns bought years ago on eBay. They’re nigh weightless and don’t tend to fall out when there are only a couple of stitches left on each.
I don't know why, but I don't have that problem with metal dpns. They're the only type I've ever used since I first learned to use dpns as a child, and I love using them. I'm a flicker, so don't know if that has any bearing on it, but I wouldn't think so.

· Registered
5,485 Posts
I have Fibromyalgia and Arthritis. I used to prefer the metal needles because the yarn slides so easily on them and my projects could get finished in no time. But as these conditions worsened with old age, I switched to bamboo needles because my fingers could grasp them better. Now, my hands are in braces a lot and knitting is no longer enjoyable or even possible some days. 😰I was always glad to see so many different options in the stores because one size does NOT fit all!
One of the women in my group just recently revealed that she is having great difficulty knitting and crocheting. She was thinking she wouldn’t be able to participate anymore.
someone brought her a round loom and taught her to loom. It requires chunky yarn or two thinner yarns held together but it actually doesn’t cause her discomfort. N she can make hats of several sizes and scarves. There are all kinds of looms, now.

Maybe a loom will be easier for you?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Top Bottom