Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
If we charged a living wage for what we do as a ‘crafters species‘ we would become extinct, a dying breed. Take the time to read the article, it will make you chuckle and it would resonate with anyone of us who have been asked “ could you / would you make me one”. By the time I read the last response I had a full belly laugh moment!

·
Registered
12,097 Posts
I read this earlier today, too, and thought it was hilarious! I have no idea why she kept responding to his ridiculous statements, though. 🤣

Reactions: Bin-bin

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,439 Posts
Non-knitters & crocherers, don't have a clue.
Ditto for non-mechanics, non-plumbers, non-electricians, non-cooks, non-bakers, etc., ad infinitum. Whatever skill one has honed, many others seem to think you somehow OWE it to them. Those others are usually strangers, but even family members can be guilty.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
I knit an aran sweater for my dog, and it cost me about 10 bucks for the yarn. I dropped in at the pet store yesterday, and their dog sweaters, similar to mine, but machine knit, started at 35 bucks!! I've given up on trying to sell hand knit items because no one wants to pay what they are worth!

·
Registered
32,126 Posts

·
Registered
32,126 Posts
The ignorance of potential customers is a major reason I only knit for myself plus gifts for people I truly love and the rest as donations to charity.

I have really enjoyed the few times I saw hats I had made on local heads when I shopped at my local grocery.

The mobile food bank truck carries as many donated hats and scarves as they can as they make their rounds starting about mid October and continuing until about Easter.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I don’t take commissions for that very reason…people don’t appreciate the time that goes into knitting or crocheting an item. I occasionally will help a friend or family member who wants a unique gift for someone, but most of my work end up as gifts or charitable donations. I’m glad that individual stood up for him/herself. 👍🧶

·
Registered
213 Posts
Absolutely loved it ! Now that I am retired, my time belongs to me ...(and my DH, and my children, and my grandchildren, and my 95 year old Mom).
I was a grossly underpaid professional, because I was female, once upon a while ago.
I suspect that gender may still play a role in the insulting devaluation of our time - and fiber skills.
What do the rest of you think?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Top Bottom